SOLVED Moonn Asteroid - 7 Transistor Fuzz War/DBA Armageddon - Assistance

Any smart folks out there had success building the DBA Armageddon? I've been working on the Moonn Electronics Asteroid, which from the description is based upon the Armageddon (http://dirtboxlayouts.blogspot.com/2019/07/death-by-audio-armageddon.html) but still scratching my head on this one.

I've put together the v2 PCB with the recommended components from the build doc (https://www.dropbox.com/s/dyyin1ma8q527ug/Asteroid Doc.pdf?dl=0), but still only getting a very faint fuzz sound when both the loud and fuzz pots are dimed. Checked and double checked the offboard wiring as well as all other components, and it looks to be correct. Checked for any unintentional bridges and cleaned up flux from the board... nothing that i can see. But from my limited experience with fuzz circuits, this usually indicates something is up with the transistors. Then again, I'm still learning the basics so definitely could be wrong.

From what I've read about the 7 transistor Fuzz War/Armageddon circuit (I believe this is the basis of the Asteroid), the transistors can be a bit fiddly. I've gathered seven 2n5088's with hfe of 350 (within 1 or 2 hfe), and tried a few similar subs (2n5089, 2n3094) but no luck. I'm guessing there may be another issue, but hard to tell since it seems to be a somewhat uncommon build and not a whole lot of info out there.

The v1 Fuzz War threads here have been super helpful thus far. But not sure if the addition of the filters would deviate much from the Bellum MK1 concept. Any ideas on where I should go from here? Thanks!!

Asteroid_Top.jpg

Asteroid_Under.jpg

Solution
Think I may have figured out whats causing the issue. The build doc does not provide any details on the 6 lugs labeled "filter" in the bottom right of the PCB... although it does list a 3PDT for it on the parts list.
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.21.38 PM.png
I've yet to see this type of arrangement for a switch, so I'll need to play around with it for a bit. But my assumption is that it would be similar to the "Boost" footswitch for one of the other Moonn builds ("200 Sunny Sunns") as outlined below:
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.10.11 PM.png

I jumpered eyelets 1 & 2, and 4 & 5 and suddenly the very faint fuzz was brought up to unity volume level and sounded pretty good. Hoping the above is correct for a filter sweep arrangement and not just a boost.
Think I may have figured out whats causing the issue. The build doc does not provide any details on the 6 lugs labeled "filter" in the bottom right of the PCB... although it does list a 3PDT for it on the parts list.
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.21.38 PM.png
I've yet to see this type of arrangement for a switch, so I'll need to play around with it for a bit. But my assumption is that it would be similar to the "Boost" footswitch for one of the other Moonn builds ("200 Sunny Sunns") as outlined below:
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 3.10.11 PM.png

I jumpered eyelets 1 & 2, and 4 & 5 and suddenly the very faint fuzz was brought up to unity volume level and sounded pretty good. Hoping the above is correct for a filter sweep arrangement and not just a boost.

Solution
Added the 3pdt and wired it up according to the diagram and we're up and running. Does seem like a pretty gnarly fuzz... can get spitty and very fizzy, but I suppose that's the v1 fuzz war circuit. Would have been nice if that part of the instructions had been included in the build doc, but oh well.

Back