Moonn Gold Gerät

Mentaltossflycoon

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I finally boxed up this freebie I received from Nils at Moonn, thanks to him for this generosity. Based on the JPTR FX Silver Machine, it's an interesting little octave fuzz that goes from green ringerish sounds to intense unpredictable octave fuzz that is not like any of the others I've played. As a bassist I question the marketing describing it as useful on bass. I'd say it's among the most bass sucking fuzzes that I have. I'm not mad at it, it's super fun and I intend to keep it but it'll mostly be useful to me with my guitar and bari. If/when I octave fuzz my bass, I'm still reaching for the fuzzy fox or octorock. Easy build and good times as always.

Screenshot_20240101_203133_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240101_203155_Gallery.jpg

What's this all about? I don't know anything about jptr but I like hot goss
Most over the top was the marketing for the Jive, which implied it's an Akai tape preamp, while actually it is a SHO with switchable clipping diodes, copied value for value including the pulldown resistor at the output and lack of power filtering (at least previously, not sure what's going on in the current ones, but the diode configurations have also changed a couple times).

I don't know about ALL their pedals, but the ones I have seen traces of or "traced" myself, they are generally very derivative. E.g. Katastrophe being a BE-OD with what appears to be just some swapped pot values and a green ringer blend in front, or the Warlow being basically a direct clone of the op amp muff, except for the lack of clipping diodes and the switchable tone filters that it originally didn't have. What gets me more is their past (and to a degree present) QC, how inefficient their building schedule and techniques are and how nontransparent they are with ordering status. Tried ordering two pedals from them over the years and gave up after multiple months of waiting with zero communication.

Most over the top was the marketing for the Jive, which implied it's an Akai tape preamp, while actually it is a SHO with switchable clipping diodes, copied value for value including the pulldown resistor at the output and lack of power filtering (at least previously, not sure what's going on in the current ones, but the diode configurations have also changed a couple times).

I don't know about ALL their pedals, but the ones I have seen traces of or "traced" myself, they are generally very derivative. E.g. Katastrophe being a BE-OD with what appears to be just some swapped pot values and a green ringer blend in front, or the Warlow being basically a direct clone of the op amp muff, except for the lack of clipping diodes and the switchable tone filters that it originally didn't have. What gets me more is their past (and to a degree present) QC, how inefficient their building schedule and techniques are and how nontransparent they are with ordering status. Tried ordering two pedals from them over the years and gave up after multiple months of waiting with zero communication.
Basically this: all their pedals are direct copies of DIY-projects with a really over the top marketing that crosses the border of knowingly lying rather often. Usually the pedals have one or two very badly executed mods that are explained by even more marketing-mumbojumbo or thrown an SHO into every circuit. On top of that comes a very questionable build quality and insanely long waiting times… when being asked about or called out on any of this the guy behind the company reacts like a bully and tries to rally his rather big following against whoever dares to question him or tries to throw stones at everyone who he considers a threat to his questionable marketing…

Marketing that’s blown out of proportion is a common thing in the pedal scene as we all know but there’s a certain level where it just ruins your credibility. Being a dick to other people usually doesn’t really help either.

Anyways: just thought the diss on the pcb was funny - the designer probably traced the Silvermachine, noticed that it’s two SHO's and a green ringer in a box and has nothing to do with the claims jptr made and decided to poke him a bit on that.

Hi, I received the Moonn Gold Gerät as part of their "buy 5 mystery pcbs" deal, for Christmas. I am kinda disappointed that I got 5 fuzz pcbs, as I was hoping for a bit of variety, but hey, 5 fuzz pedals may provide some fun chaos.

I didnt see the Gold Gerat on Mooon's website, so I am wondering if you have the build guide? These are my first builds, excluding a chipamp and some repairs ive done, so I need help! I've messaged Nils on the website and Instagram but he's not responded.

Hi, I received the Moonn Gold Gerät as part of their "buy 5 mystery pcbs" deal, for Christmas. I am kinda disappointed that I got 5 fuzz pcbs, as I was hoping for a bit of variety, but hey, 5 fuzz pedals may provide some fun chaos.

I didnt see the Gold Gerat on Mooon's website, so I am wondering if you have the build guide? These are my first builds, excluding a chipamp and some repairs ive done, so I need help! I've messaged Nils on the website and Instagram but he's not responded.
I just used the values printed on the board. You can definitely ask for help here if you're unsure about what you need.

Back