Mounting a PCB with wired pots

SchlegFace

Hi all! I have a build nearing completion that will be raffled off at my friend's local music fest that he puts on. For the first time in quite a while I am using a board without PCB mount pots, and am wondering on how you all go about mounting a PCB in a box when it is not held on by any of the hardware. I am really wanting to come up with a reliable solution, and am struggling over here. All the I ideas I keep coming up with seem way too complicated. Prior solutions I have used have included the floating rat's nest of solid core wire, double sided tape, and JB Welding a nut to the enclosure and nylon screws for a PCB that had a screw hole for a wah shell. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks much!

How many pots are there? If more than 1, then just some solid core wire will do the trick. Don't forget that it will also be held on via wires going to the footswitch.

When I have stripboard build I originally though I had to mount it like you think, but it's not necessary as long as the wires are stiff enough. Stranded wire not so much...

How many pots are there? If more than 1, then just some solid core wire will do the trick. Don't forget that it will also be held on via wires going to the footswitch.

When I have stripboard build I originally though I had to mount it like you think, but it's not necessary as long as the wires are stiff enough. Stranded wire not so much...
There are 5 pots, but I have already wired them with stranded.

@BuddytheReow, a lot of wires, but none particularly taught. It is a heavily modded Klon spoof, so jacks will be mounted on the top and the footswitch will be off to the left hand side of the board. Thanks for weighing in, I appreciate your thoughts.

PXL_20230712_160954678.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't care what it looks like inside, you can always use some masking tape or duct tape. It should work in a pinch

These look really slick, but I can't find them for sale anywhere.

I thought I had seen an edge-gripper standoff like that at one of the regular pedal parts sites, but I'm coming up with nothing....

These look really slick, but I can't find them for sale anywhere.

I thought I had seen an edge-gripper standoff like that at one of the regular pedal parts sites, but I'm coming up with nothing....
These do look great. I found a place where you could request a quote on 1000. :LOL:

There's these:

There's also the thick clear strips that are sold for mounting stuff to walls. I haven't used it yet, but it would probably hold up to messing with ICs in sockets, etc.
I may have meant to buy some of these a long time ago. Might gave to think about the clear sticky stuff, because me and foam tape can just never seem to get on the page.

I wish pcb designers as a whole would include pointing holes when there's space to do so. Or at least leave a few void circles in the copper pour and add indicators.
If you had mounting holes, I'd say rivnuts. Those things are awesome.
The little adhesive square and zip ties are an option. Hit the squares with some super glue to be sure. That adhesive tends to harden after 8 or so years.
But easy to replace the zip ties if the pcb ever needs to be pulled.

lile these on BezosBay

Otherwise, hot glue. Drop 4 blobs under the pcb(solder side) to act as standoffs. Set it in place and then glue it down at the corners. Include a few wires for extra "grip".

Or a few small squares of 3M Velcro on the solder side. Just insulate any possible points or shorts with paint or tape, etc.

Or 😜 goop the whole thing in black liquid tape to hold the mojo in!

I wish pcb designers as a whole would include pointing holes when there's space to do so. Or at least leave a few void circles in the copper pour and add indicators.
If you had mounting holes, I'd say rivnuts. Those things are awesome.
The little adhesive square and zip ties are an option. Hit the squares with some super glue to be sure. That adhesive tends to harden after 8 or so years.
But easy to replace the zip ties if the pcb ever needs to be pulled.

lile these on BezosBay

Otherwise, hot glue. Drop 4 blobs under the pcb(solder side) to act as standoffs. Set it in place and then glue it down at the corners. Include a few wires for extra "grip".

Or a few small squares of 3M Velcro on the solder side. Just insulate any possible points or shorts with paint or tape, etc.

Or 😜 goop the whole thing in black liquid tape to hold the mojo in!
I do have some of those zip tie mounts from making a sub kick mic and was thinking about them. When you glue those down, so you leave the foam tape on and juice it up, or remove it then glue?

I do have some of those zip tie mounts from making a sub kick mic and was thinking about them. When you glue those down, so you leave the foam tape on and juice it up, or remove it then glue?
I've never used them in this manner.
At work, we use them and epoxy them. But the ones we use have a thin clearish adhesive. It holds it long enough for the epoxy to set(on fiberglass).
In this case, I'd probably go surface to surface and omit the foam.
Glue it and let it sit overnight before zipping in the board.
Just be sure to insulate around it.

Another thing, if you have thin zip ties, some of these will accommodate 2 of them, one on X axis, one on Y.
But it can be challenging. I'd run my zip ties through pre super glue. Easier than trying to make it happen once in.

Thanks everyone for weighing in and all your suggestions. I found some extra thick clear mounting adhesive that I decided to go with. A couple strips on the back of the board and it is locked in tight. On to the next build!!

Back