Using 4m pin pot with normal pot?

kweefthief

I was sorting stuff out for my pro-10 blue build and realized my A5k pot had these "4m" pins ive never seen before. All my other pots have what i think are the normal pins. They both fit into the pcb but the 4m pot would be at a higher height than the other pots. Any ideas on how to fix this or tips? 1667589515502.png 1667589564807.png

Yes, I’ve done this a number of times, before I started really looking more carefully at the Tayda pictures…

You'll want some sharp flush cut nippers, and possibly (if you have a dremel) some cut off wheels.

1. place a correct pot and our test subject so the 90 bend is at the same height, and mark off where the end of the correct legs are, and also right where they get thin.

2. cut the legs off at the new full length mark.

3. mark across all three (now shorter) legs to show where the thinning happens.

4. this is the only tricky part. You need to thin the legs to that mark you just made. If your nippers are sharp enough, you may be able to just make two very shallow cuts, and two long cuts, and be done. The legs are thin, bend easily, and are fairly soft metal… I’ve been able to thin them off easiest, using a cut off disc (but more like a miniature sanding disc, pressing the leg into the flat surface of the spinning disc).

As an alternative, you could just cut them off square where they get narrow, and solder some short bare wires on. (This of course didn’t occur to me until just now…) but it wasn’t bad, just added a bit of time to the build. I’ve even bought the longer ones on purpose, when I’ve wanted to locate the knobs a bit higher or lower on the top, and keep the board in the same place.

My nippers arent too sharp and i think im dremel-less. I only got one of these pots sadly. Im gonna go ahead and try just snipping the legs tonight. Hopefully all goes well! Thanks for the detailed advice!!

I've been building amps since 2000-ish, and you gotta have 18ga for the heaters for the tubes. I got tons of that stuff, lol.....In like 8 colors. :cool:
is building amps much harder.... and dangerous? ive made 2 pedals so far lol but i would love to try making an amp in the future!

is building amps much harder.... and dangerous? ive made 2 pedals so far lol but i would love to try making an amp in the future!
Well, it's not hazardous until you turn it on. 350 to 500 volts can really ruin your day. So whenever you're testing with a live circuit you tuck one arm behind your back in your beltline. Because if you touch 500v with one hand while the other hand is grounded you'll wake up dead!!!!!

The current runs from one hand, across your heart, and down the other turning your heart off on the way. Not good. There's a technique called chop sticking. With oscilloscope attached you move wires around with DRY WOODEN chop sticks to see if you can find (a) the source of un-explained run away oscillation, (b) crunchy, buzzy, or humming sounds, (c) etc.

This allows you to touch live wires without dying. And of course you always ground the caps after the power has been on and check voltage with a meter before working on the board, components or wires.

Pretty much that takes care of the dangerous part. The most important thing is that you FEAR the power of high voltage. Same goes with power tools. My dad used to say it's always the unloaded gun that kills someone because the first thing people say is "I didn't know it was loaded"

Last edited:
IMO It needs to be reiterated:

Grounding the caps of the switched-off (and unplugged) amp drains their remaining energy away, but I'd say it's still best to maintain the habit of one hand behind the back.

Some people here got into pedal-building through first building amps, but ... I'd suggest building quite a few more pedals before tackling amps.

It may or may not be much harder, but it sure is more damn expensive and much more lethal if you screw up.

If/when you do decide to build an amp,
I'd recommend building a little Champ before tackling that three-channel mega-watt super high-gain Triple-Rectum-Fire...

Power-tools, whether electric or air, still freak me out.

IMO It needs to be reiterated:

Grounding the caps of the switched-off (and unplugged) amp drains their remaining energy away, but I'd say it's still best to maintain the habit of one hand behind the back.

Some people here got into pedal-building through first building amps, but ... I'd suggest building quite a few more pedals before tackling amps.

It may or may not be much harder, but it sure is more damn expensive and much more lethal if you screw up.

If/when you do decide to build an amp,
I'd recommend building a little Champ before tackling that three-channel mega-watt super high-gain Triple-Rectum-Fire...

Power-tools, whether electric or air, still freak me out.
I started using powertools at the age of 11. My dad taught me to RESPECT AND FEAR table saws, drill presses, chain saws etc. btw, I rebuilt my first lawnmower engine at the age of 8, and used to fix them when people would bring them over for my dad to fix, lol.

I gotta rototill the back 40 in a while. With respect and fear, lol.

This was my first JTM50. I used plexi glass for the circuit board on a dare. I would not do it again. While the melting point is pretty high, the BENDING POINT isn't. Had to use heat sink for each solder. Pain in the .....
DSCN0469.800.600.JPG

Very beautiful build, I believe you've shown the plexiglass in another thread.

Respect and fear sums it up. I use power tools, but do so with fear and respect...

I didn't get as early a start, I was 12 or 14 and running large sheets of wood-veneer panelling through a table-saw, working at my friend's parents' shop — they built truck campers and also did a few van conversions.

Back