Muffin Factory: Sickly Sweet!

jeffwhitfield

I know, I know...three build reports in a row! Makes you wonder if this is all I do. :p

This is probably one of my favorite builds I've done in a while. The build itself came together pretty quick.

When I first saw the name "Muffin Factory" the only thing I could think of was cupcakes. Definitely a bit of a design challenge in that, with the face plate, you really only have the bottom part to design with. I already had some brown knobs left over from another project. Match it up with a pink enclosure and some tasty looking cupcake graphics and...well...there you go. Figure it would be super fun to make something that looks so sweet it will make you sick just looking at it. :p

Probably the only thing I would have done different is to add sockets for the DIP switch assembly. Soldering on the pin headers directly to the board does make debugging really, really hard! Plus, the DIP switches are mounted a little lower than I would have liked. Problem is that I'm not sure adding the sockets would even work. There's a bit of room...but not sure there is enough room to allow for sockets. Definitely wonder what could be done here. Hmm...

I explored the dip switches just today and found some initial setting that I like. Lots of possibility but, like many have mentioned, once you find settings you like it's possible that you probably won't touch them much. The real fun is in the main switches. It's amazing how many tones you can get with different combinations of transistors and diodes. It's a pretty flexible pedal with a sound of it's own.

I opted to use a set of AC127's for the GE transistors and 1N34A diodes for the GE ones. I found them to be quite a nice pairing with the standard silicon transistors and diodes. The different combinations along with different sustain and tone setting yield a ton of very usable options.

I need to post up a video of this pedal soon. Just too much to talk about. :p

IMG_0006.jpeg
IMG_0007.jpeg

Don't fear the options, fellas. Most of those dips are subtle. It's a worthwhile pedal, even if it's just an exercise in taking things too far. There's a break in period of fiddling a ton but I mostly leave the dips alone now.

I also used the blue dip switches and soldered them too deep. I find the tiny screw driver that sometimes comes with packs of knobs works well to get at those things.

Back