Muffin Fuzz Parts Questions

joelorigo

I am looking at the build doc for the Muffin, Mask Us version, and I see there are 3 resistors with a listed value as "100." Is it 100R?

I have BC239C transistors on hand, can I use them instead of the listed 2N5088?

I see that the many of the capacitor pads are round with a polarity "+" symbol but they are listed with nF values and looking other Muffin build reports people are using box caps, so I assume depending on the variant is which type of caps to use. So using the box caps, does it matter which way to insert then?

One more clarification about the Mask Us version. Does R23 need to be jumped or omitted? I assume omitted.

I am almost finished with this. What would be the sound difference between the BC239C transistors and the 2N5088? I have both.

Not speaking from experience but I imagine the difference is fairly tacit and hard to come up with the proper buzzwords to describe. The answer you will likely get is just to socket them and see what you think. Tell us when you find out too!

I did a quick transistor swap test from the 2N5088, to the BC239C, and back (highly scientific :) ). I think the difference might be that the 2N5088 are a bit louder, thicker & have a bit more gain. It's a little hard to know exactly because of the time to stop and change the transistors but I'll do it again and report back.

FWIW . . . . . here's a short cheat-sheet for transistors. Most of the silicon BJTs are of the "jelly-bean" variety. Meaning there are many and varied interchangeable Si BJTs that can be substituted for one another. Mind you the list in NOT a complete equivalent chart, just some of the more commonly used transistors used in pedal circuits.

TransistorSubstitutionChart_NEW.png

Back