Muroidea to knock the rust off.

MightySmallElectrons

7ED7F103-DB36-4F4D-B27B-DCF0C6414EF2.jpeg
My first ever Pedal was a RAT back in the early eighties. I remember it had ungodly amounts of distortion on tap and was so noisy that I would pretend the crowd was cheering as the notes died out.
Thus I’ve never really had the desire to own another until recently, seems like everyone owns and loves a RAT.
I haven’t assembled a pedal for many years. I have many in the works but this was the first that I managed to have all (most) of the parts for.
I substituted a 33pf for the 30pf and though it works and sounds fine I’m wondering if anyone can tell what minor difference the substitution has?
A few stupid mistakes were made during this project, mostly during the boxing. Could have been done in a much more logical order and come out more neatly and with less margin for problems down the road. But the fact that it fired up straight away made me very happy.
Sounds way better than I remember. Much quieter and the lower gain settings are nice as well.
Finally get what the fuss is.
Thanks for looking.

View attachment 3805
My first ever Pedal was a RAT back in the early eighties. I remember it had ungodly amounts of distortion on tap and was so noisy that I would pretend the crowd was cheering as the notes died out.
Thus I’ve never really had the desire to own another until recently, seems like everyone owns and loves a RAT.
I haven’t assembled a pedal for many years. I have many in the works but this was the first that I managed to have all (most) of the parts for.
I substituted a 33pf for the 30pf and though it works and sounds fine I’m wondering if anyone can tell what minor difference the substitution has?
A few stupid mistakes were made during this project, mostly during the boxing. Could have been done in a much more logical order and come out more neatly and with less margin for problems down the road. But the fact that it fired up straight away made me very happy.
Sounds way better than I remember. Much quieter and the lower gain settings are nice as well.
Finally get what the fuss is.
Thanks for looking.

Nice! You’re right lots of companies are putting their own spin on the Rat these days (looking at you, Life Pedal), but there’s lots to be said for the original, it’s like the platonic ideal of distortion sounds imho

Substituting 33pf for 30pf likely won’t make an audible difference, especially if the capacitors ProCo used/are using have like a +/-10% tolerance, then 33pf would even be in-spec

Back