DEMO The Jimilee Super Rat

This post contains an audio or video demo

jjjimi84

This pedal will go down in history as my most filmed pedal of all time, I jokingly put take 98 on what I thought was the last take, only to have to upload take 99. More on this later......

Here is the @jimilee Super Rat, it is a take on the Proco Rat with 8 different hard clipping options and a soft clipping option along with a low end control which makes it super fun to dial in tones. I really appreciate Jimilee and his patience with me as I reworked and made so many revisions to what I wanted to show in this demo. It is really hard to describe the feel of different clipping options without sounding like a fucking idiot.

"This feels lighter and tends to pillow the notes."

"This has clipping option has a sense of longing only a robot would know."

"This clipping option took my v card."

Instead you get four different guitars, additional pedals and by golly some nice wholesomeness.

I love this pedal (setting 7!!! SPLOOOSH) and it has made it on a lot of my videos so far and will be in heavy rotation for a long time. Here is take 99;

Now you may be wondering "why would a pedal take so long to film?"

A lot of changes have been going on behind the scenes at Flabby Choad studios (working title). The first few takes were me just noodling around showing off the different sounds and was what most of my early videos are. There was a lot of riffing and random bits of talking and information and hum, so much hum and just so many things I did not like.

That is when the tear down started...

I tore all of the amps out, tore out a rack of guitars that was in the closet and got rid of them. A 1x12 cabinet was put in its place along with the microphones and sound paneling to cut down on amp noise. Microphones were added and the cabling was cleaned up and the de-Lisle Amp switcher entered the picture, then more cabling was made.

And then more cabling was made and then more cabling was made and then more cabling was made and then more cabling was made and then more cabling was made and then more cabling was made and then more cabling was made.

As previous discussed with @Guardians of the analog making cable is a labor of necessity and not one of love.

Then once all was thought complete, when there was peace and cleanliness in the lands, the idea of using multiple guitars with multiple amps with every pedal came into my head. More super rat videos were filmed, take 98 was the one, it was glorious! Only to find that when I have the camera between my guitar rack and myself it goes out of focus every time I pass a guitar through the field of vision.....

Now I have to fix this problem and set up the pedal and camera differently and change up some of the lighting but it all is paying off.

This video sounds way better to me, is much more concise and to the point and is much more inline with what I would like to do. Hope you all enjoy it and sorry for the ranting but I think you passionate fools know what I cam going through.

pedal sounds great. Nice video setup also.

I’m working on something like this on my breadboard but with toggles switches for the different clipping options.

Im soooooooooooo in love with this tone!

@jimilee dude your Rat circuit kicks ass!!!

Im really really liking your new setup @jjjimi84. There's a noticeable difference in hearing you talk and the guitars tone. Fantastic video as always man!
It is a meaty tone, love this pedal! I am looking forward to the Rat Salad and a little comparison. Thank you @steviejr92 you are awesome!

pedal sounds great. Nice video setup also.

I’m working on something like this on my breadboard but with toggles switches for the different clipping options.
Thank You!!!! Do tell about this breadboard idea.

It is a meaty tone, love this pedal! I am looking forward to the Rat Salad and a little comparison. Thank you @steviejr92 you are awesome!

Thank You!!!! Do tell about this breadboard idea.
Apologies for the hard to read writing but something like this. 4 3 way on off on switches to select between diodes in the hard and soft clip section so you can select between asymmetrical and symmetrical clipping and have a range of forward values to choose from and a single switch to turn off soft clipping. With the hard clipping diodes set to LED the soft clipping differences are much more apparent. I thought about including a switch to turn off hard clipping but I think 6 toggles might be excessive🤣.

Attachments

• IMG_6052.jpeg
    IMG_6052.jpeg
    430.3 KB · Views: 13
Apologies for the hard to read writing but something like this. 4 3 way on off on switches to select between diodes in the hard and soft clip section so you can select between asymmetrical and symmetrical clipping and have a range of forward values to choose from and a single switch to turn off soft clipping. With the hard clipping diodes set to LED the soft clipping differences are much more apparent. I thought about including a switch to turn off hard clipping but I think 6 toggles might be excessive🤣.
Rotary switches make it a little easier and less confusing for me. Or at least centrally located my confusion.

Great sounding pedal and a great demo, too. Thanks.
I liked the softclipping option most. This what I am trying to accomplish with a soft-clipper (YATS or SD-1) in front of a rat.
Maybe a blending via pot in of the softclippers can yield some nice in-between sounds.

@KR Sound I could talk about this all day.

The signal goes from guitar into a little pedalboard that has maybe three or four pedals on it to the de-Lisle Amp Selector 8x8 deluxe. With this unit, I can just turn a rotary to select which amp "head" and "cabinet" I want and can play away. All of my amps are loaded into this thing giving me the option to run the 50 watt plexi into the tweed cabinet or the deluxe into the bass 2x10. One of the cabinet sends goes around the room to the Two Notes Torpedo which runs a slave lead to a 1x12 in the closet with a celestion 65 watt Creamback.

There will eventually be a time when the Two notes Torpedo is in the loop of the de-Lisle and an always available option but fr right now I am only utilizing the two notes if I record with that particular cabinet.

On the closet cabinet is a Royer 121 and a Shure SM 57 which run into a Seventh Circle Audio Preamps N72 and A12, respectively, and from there into the Art Labs Pro VLA II into the Focusrite 18i20.

This entire studio was rewired twice in the last 7 weeks and is now in a really great place for functionality and still being a room of all trades. There is one ground giving me a headache but it will work itself out shortly. It all started when filming the studio tour video, wandering through this choas and finding different things that needed to be cleaned up or fixed. The room was damn near gutted and put back together with proper wiring and better cable managment and better flow for doing what I try to do.

Long term goal would be to have a set of microphones (Cascade Fathead and Sennheiser e906) on the Allen Accomplice cabinet and do shoot outs with amp in the box pedals versus the real deal.

Back to the recording....

Every video is different but for instance the Super Rat video released yesterday, the recorded signal gets blended in Reaper between three sources, Royer 121, SM57 and the Two Notes. I use the wall of sound plugin and will load up a complimentary ir and then add a bit of reverb and then bury the hell out of it in the mix. It kind serves the function of what my old room mic used to do, which is just add a bit of MSG, just make it taste gooder. The 57 and 121 are blended with the two notes and then I slice and dice the vocal mic and export it to my project folder for video editing.

Maybe now that the studio is back together and actually functioning I could do that studio tour again....

the recorded signal gets blended in Reaper between three sources, Royer 121, SM57 and the Two Notes. I use the wall of sound plugin and will load up a complimentary ir and then add a bit of reverb and then bury the hell out of it in the mix. It kind serves the function of what my old room mic used to do, which is just add a bit of MSG, just make it taste gooder. The 57 and 121 are blended with the two notes and then I slice and dice the vocal mic
This is what I need to work on. I’ve used Reaper for a while, but haven’t used live amps with it yet- everything has been with AmpliTube and Tonex so far.

Sounds like an amazing setup man!

This is what I need to work on. I’ve used Reaper for a while, but haven’t used live amps with it yet- everything has been with AmpliTube and Tonex so far.

Sounds like an amazing setup man!
It is a great setup and am incredibly fortunate but it is not without its headaches.

There are times when I just want to use my Destiny Behemoth and a few pedals and call it a day.

Last edited:
Superb!

Quite a feat getting that much Rat into such a short video. Could've easily gone 16-minutes instead of just 6, and by the end I was wanting more (ALWAYS leave your audience wanting more, NEVER have them head prematurely for the door).

I got Jimilee's Deucetone Rat and a few other things, now wishing I'd got the Super Rat as well.

Superb!

Quite a feat getting that much Rat into such a short video. Could've easily gone 16-minutes instead of just 6, and by the end I was wanting more (ALWAYS leave your audience wanting more, NEVER have them head prematurely for the door).

I got Jimilee's Deucetone Rat and a few other things, now wishing I'd got the Super Rat as well.
I just built another one after seeing this. I like it!

Back