Must know (overdrive) circuits?

I think this visit itself says a lot. Obviously, Greer was ashamed and Cochrane was just being polite, and probably realistic : "Timmy is going to get cloned, making ennemies about it won't change anything"...

Can you describe exactly what is the difference ? Even with the same chip in both circuits ? If you can't put words on the difference, it's probably pure placebo. Of course, no offense intended, it happens to all of us.

Like all these strange people who loves a Klon...

"mojo" is an other word for auto-suggestion, placebo, self-satisfaction, delirium, delusion, etc. Otherwise we'd be able to name and analyze it with precision.

I've been there : Once you spent way too much money on a stompbox, you want to be happy about it, to justify the cost by any means. No one wants to feel like a sucker who got robbed, even if it means lying to ourselves. This tendency has been studied by scientists, again and again.

No offense taken at all! As I mentioned, I truly enjoy these kinds of debates.

Regarding, the Greer/Cochrane meeting, I can totally see where one can make that assumption, but I'm not sure we can say that this was "obviously" the case regarding Cochrane's disposition. However, your point makes sense.

Yes, I can put words to the difference. Compared to the other "transparent overdrives" I have (or have had), I get more vibrant, brighter, and what I would call shimmering textures with the Lightspeed than with the others. It is also palpable to me that it effects my original tone a bit less.

I completely understand where you are coming from regarding my use of the word "mojo," and I think this was a poor choice of words on my part. When comparing these OD's I definitely thought to myself, "Am just imagining these differences I'm hearing?" But after continuing to compare, my ear was definitely picking up what I consider to be legitimate differences. But of course, I can only speak for myself.

It's certainly not a Klon type situation for me, and I had no pre-disposition or allegiance regarding any of these drives when I compared them. Also, I didn't splash the cash on a "real" Lightspeed.; I built the Mach 1 which didn't cost that much. I just think the Lightspeed is tops for the reasons above. But at the end of the day, it may merely just come down to personal preference regarding sound than anything else. Just my two cents, but I think it should be on the list. If you haven't played one, I don't think you'll regret building it.

Addition: sorry, I didn’t catch your last edit. To be honest, I have not tried the same chip in both circuits, but will do so

Last edited:
I get more vibrant, brighter, and what I would call shimmering textures
Well said, that's exactly what I would expect from a good OPA2134... Now i am tempted to try one of these in my precious Timmy.

I can't wait to listen to your demo with the same chip in both circuits. I guess we'll find out...

I don't think I'll build a Mach 1 : I guess transparent overdrives are interesting when you have a special instrument and/or a special amplifier that you really want to hear. Not necessarily some super expensive gear, but i suppose it's usually the case. If i am not mistaking, transparent overdrives make sense with great instruments, otherwise it sounds as bland and dull as the gear involved.

I tend to do just the opposite : cheap instruments (700 or 800 euros max) cheap amps (same range of prices) and I use stompboxes to shape the sound. I am happy with non-transparent overdrives. I like my Blues Junior 3, and my Seymour-Duncan pickups, but I don't really care about them.

Last edited:
As far as circuitry the Greer Timmy-style pedals just swap the quite useful 2-band EQ for a single tone knob. They're ok. Other Timmy "inspired" pedals would be the TSV-808 and the King Tone Blues Power (I think that's what it's called).

And as for Jfets-replacing-tubes pedals - many of the Menatones are designed like that. The five or six knob King of the Britains is excellent. Even if it should be called King of the Britons.

Well said, that's exactly what I would expect from a good OPA2134... Now i am tempted to try one of these in my precious Timmy.

I can't wait to listen to your demo with the same chip in both circuits. I guess we'll find out...

I don't think I'll build a Mach 1 : I guess transparent overdrives are interesting when you have a special instrument and/or a special amplifier that you really want to hear. Not necessarily some super expensive gear, but i suppose it's usually the case. If i am not mistaking, transparent overdrives make sense with great instruments, otherwise it sounds as bland and dull as the gear involved.

I tend to do just the opposite : cheap instruments (700 or 800 euros max) cheap amps (same range of prices) and I use stompboxes to shape the sound. I am happy with non-transparent overdrives. I like my Blues Junior 3, and my Seymour-Duncan pickups, but I don't really care about them.
If we get into the topic of "it's based on a _______ so it's the same thing" we'd be all down to what? 4 pedals? Some kind of YATS, some kind of KLON, some kind of Crunchbox and some kind of Distortion +. (I kid of course but only sort of hahaha).

While the Mach 1 may have its roots in a Timmy and falls into the same sonic space, one cool thing I like about the Mach 1 is that it adds a lot of low end without adding mids or upper mids. Take your Timmy and crank up the bass knob and it gets less and less transparent.

The Mach 1 remains pretty transparent (more so than any other low gain pedal I've built) all the way through the gain range. And when I say "transparent" I mean not overshadowing the basic nature of the guitar, pickups or amp.

Yes, the differences are subtle, but the Timmy is a pedal I never reach for. When I want a clear low gain bit of grit my top choice is always the Mach 1. You should try bread boarding one and compare. It's a cool circuit. I'm pretty sure I used an NE5532 in mine, I'd have to check my build reports and look hahaha

If we get into the topic of "it's based on a _______ so it's the same thing" we'd be all down to what? 4 pedals? Some kind of YATS, some kind of KLON, some kind of Crunchbox and some kind of Distortion +. (I kid of course but only sort of hahaha).

While the Mach 1 may have its roots in a Timmy and falls into the same sonic space, one cool thing I like about the Mach 1 is that it adds a lot of low end without adding mids or upper mids. Take your Timmy and crank up the bass knob and it gets less and less transparent.

The Mach 1 remains pretty transparent (more so than any other low gain pedal I've built) all the way through the gain range. And when I say "transparent" I mean not overshadowing the basic nature of the guitar, pickups or amp.

Yes, the differences are subtle, but the Timmy is a pedal I never reach for. When I want a clear low gain bit of grit my top choice is always the Mach 1. You should try bread boarding one and compare. It's a cool circuit. I'm pretty sure I used an NE5532 in mine, I'd have to check my build reports and look hahaha
Yea, once I built the Mach 1 my Timmy pretty much collects dust. I'm going to have to try an NE5532 now and compare

I'm not suggesting that all Timmy-derived pedals sound alike - far from it! I'm actually not really much of a fan of the Timmy but I LOVE the Timbre Man Chuck and I came up with (he says immodestly). The reason I called it Timbre Man is because it is based on a Timmy (via TSV-808) so Tim is there in the name. It has a better sculpted midrange and lovely tight lows, which work well with a Gretsch (my main guitar) to preserve the twang.

The Dane is another which is Timmy-derived but sounds a lot better IMO. And if you add a bass control it becomes even better. It has become one of my favourite ODs - I call it the Great Dane. I also trimmed some of the excess treble off the boost section in mine and it is a killer grab'n'go OD. Again, this is why I love this hobby. The Dane is a great pedal but now I can tweak it to suit me even better.

Back