SOLVED Muzzle gate threshold

Dr. Don

Hi guys,

the past days i've build my Muzzle-Kit, buyed from Musikding Germany. The build includes the both switchable jacks for sidechain In and Out. For my opinion it works as well - tested sucessfully with the 2-, 3- and 4-cable method.

But i've a question about the threshold of the gate. Depended from the position of the internal range-switch, the "shutdown" (indicated by the colorchange of the led) occurs not before 10 o'clock (about 30% knobposition in "low range") or 12 o'clock (about 50% in "high" range).

My normal "operational mode" is the 4-cablemethod, with a muteable tuner in front of the sidechain In jack.

Now the quiestion... Is it possible to "lower" the threshold, to a setting below the described values?

I'am not so much familiar with "electrical engineering", but if i understand the schematic right, there are two resistors behind the internal range-switch (R8 and R10). Do i reach my goal by changing one of the resistors?

Greetings
Philipp

Solution
Hi guys,

even though this topic is old and your replies are a while ago, thanks for that, I still want to respond. Maybe someone else is facing the same problem as me and would appreciate the help.

I solved the whole thing for myself a few months ago as follows - according to the schematic circuit diagram (even though I have no real idea about electronics) it was obvious to me that the resistors R8 / R10 / R11 have the most to do with the problem.

Therefore I removed the resistors and soldered in pin-sockets, to be able to experiment with different values.

I found the best solution, for me and my purpose, by leaving the resistors R8 and R10 at their default values (22k and 1k5) and changing the resistor R11 from 220k to 470k...
Hi Dr Don,
Humbly I could answer, you won't take a risk to change the value of the potentiometer to a higher one! For instance a 250 k.
I've made it with Brown Eye OD from Musikding too, with the level potentiometer which was too tight, and it' s really a good operation.

I missed this when it was first posted but I'll give my best guess incase you happen to see it. I'm not sure exactly what your goal is with the "lower" threshold and I'm definitely not an expert, but to me it looks like a voltage divider with the resistors R8 and R10 offsetting it as you noted.

I think you could increase or decrease the resistors to move the central position and give the feel that you have better control of the threshold. the switch appears to just put the second resistor in parallel with the other greatly lowering its resistance. I think the answer depends on which position on the switch correlates to the 50% position as to whether you want to increase or decrease resistance and where. Adding resistance to both sides of the pot could give you a reduced range but finer tweaking of the pot.

Hi guys,

even though this topic is old and your replies are a while ago, thanks for that, I still want to respond. Maybe someone else is facing the same problem as me and would appreciate the help.

I solved the whole thing for myself a few months ago as follows - according to the schematic circuit diagram (even though I have no real idea about electronics) it was obvious to me that the resistors R8 / R10 / R11 have the most to do with the problem.

Therefore I removed the resistors and soldered in pin-sockets, to be able to experiment with different values.

I found the best solution, for me and my purpose, by leaving the resistors R8 and R10 at their default values (22k and 1k5) and changing the resistor R11 from 220k to 470k.

With this I can now better "fine tune" the threshold. I also tried larger values, but then the gate started in a strange way to "jump" somehow, when the volume shut down. In any case it didn't sound nice anymore.

Greetings
Philipp

Solution
Back