Obnoxious KLONe

JamieJ

I have always been a massive klon fan boy and love both the look and sound of the original. I built one ages ago from FuzzDog but accidentally fried it by putting 18v into. It was the first pedal I built and didn’t know how to find out what was wrong, so it went in the bin (wish I had kept it now). So I’ve been waiting for a while to fill the klon shaped hole in my life and this thing definitely does that. It’s amazing. It feels louder and if it has more headroom than my previous KLONe. Maybe it's the enclosure that gives it the mythical tone powers?

I prefer the silver over gold klon so got the enclosure from aliexpress. I used D9E diodes. I bought the OG 1N34A but I cracked one which is really annoying so I was forced to use the back up D9E. I might get get some 1N34As in the future to try. I subbed the TC1044SPCA for the 7660S as per @music6000 advice on a different thread. I socketed C14 to change between 820p and 6n8 to adjust the tone control based on the article from coda-effects.com (I haven’t experimented with that yet). I used what resistors I had lying around. I accidentally ordered some 1W resistors and CBA to do another order for 2 resistors so they are staying. I had some gremlins with the build with the wiring of the switch and made an error with the output jack wiring but reflowed some of the suspect joints and swapped the lugs over and now it works great.

Attachments

• IMG_9664.jpg
    IMG_9664.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_9662.jpg
    IMG_9662.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 120
Great build, and great report! I like the full-disclosure "crapped my pants when I turned on the power" kinda stories.

Cool!

It's near perfect, missing something, can't quite put my finger on ... Of Course! GOOP!
You gonna goop it? 😸

I've got a few different klone boards, but at some point I'll have to build one in the enklonesure.

YES! That would up the obnoxiousness of it considerably. @muisc6000 did you goop your replica?

I must admit, I love the look of the enclosure. It’s quite a bit of dead space if your board is tight for space. It’s probably just a bit smaller than a 1590DD.

Yup, that's what's making me put it off, the sheer size of that enklonesure.

I had a great idea when I saw it in this thread though: build it point-to-point! That'd fill up the enklonesure I'm sure.

I found a 1590B-sized enclosure that is vaguely like the original Centaurs, but all sold out and not being made anymore. I've looked everywhere for NOS, but to no avail.

Yup, that's what's making me put it off, the sheer size of that enklonesure.

I had a great idea when I saw it in this thread though: build it point-to-point! That'd fill up the enklonesure I'm sure.

I found a 1590B-sized enclosure that is vaguely like the original Centaurs, but all sold out and not being made anymore. I've looked everywhere for NOS, but to no avail.
Point to point would look incredible filling the whole enclosure. I bet that would be one hell of a challenge with this circuit.

There are some that are slightly cheaper on eBay. I knew I would keep it and would be worth it for me so I was happy with the outlay.

Have you seen this @Bricksnbeatles ?

A blacked out Version would look
Immense!!

Haha nope. I first started saying back in 2014 that I wanted to put a metal zone in a Klon enclosure (concentric vol/gain to keep the same knob layout) and put a Klon in a metal zone enclosure

That's fantastic @JamieJ !
Just to clarify, that's a 1590BB-sized replica right?
I've seen the to-scale large kloppies, would be even better to find 1590BB or 1590B3 sized enKlonesures.

The 1590B-ish enclosure I've been looking for — for years now — is out of stock world-wide, and out of production from before I started looking for it — chances are I'll never find one unless I luck out and find a NOS unit on the back shelf of some electronics clearing house.

But that mini-enKlonesure !! That's way better than what I've been looking for!

I've always wanted to build something like the Pelitaur, by Pelican Noiseworks.

Kinda like Bricksnbeatles idea, another non-Klone in a Centaur-style enKlonesure. Mine would be...

Either two muffs or a Muff and a Fuzz Face with each set of controls dual-ganged to each other in reverse ... one knob to rule each circuits' control — for instance the gain pot: when the muff goes up it turns the fuzzface down, and vice versa. Maybe pair something like a Great Destroyer and Christine together; or a LoFoMoFo and an Uglyface...

For the graphic: a prawn's tail, legs & body with the head & torso of a man...

Fooking love that. I've been fighting the need to order a gold klon enclosure from there for a long time. How were they to deal with and did you have to wait long for it? Also do you know if you can customise the enclosure at all? I'd ideally like one that says Klone Centaur

I've just tried a silver pony spec klon with my recent build and really like it so far. Still waiting to decide if it will knock my favourite klone with a 8n2 tone cap off my board.

They were fine to deal with. It shipped quickly and took a couple of weeks to get the the UK. You can get them blank and then maybe you could use a metal stamp ala Fairfield Circuitary. If you love your klon it’s worth it and you have the board space. It makes it look badass.

They were fine to deal with. It shipped quickly and took a couple of weeks to get the the UK. You can get them blank and then maybe you could use a metal stamp ala Fairfield Circuitary. If you love your klon it’s worth it and you have the board space. It makes it look badass.

You've just made up my mind. I'll shoot them an email to see if it's possible to get one printed up with klone centaur and if not I'll just get a blank one and label it myself. I've wanted one for ages now and keep looking at them but was concerned over the quality having never seen one in person

Back