Obtuse Boost (Fulltone Fat Boost v2)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This one I just buttoned up yesterday and has a lot of promise.

I LOVE how it sounds even though it will be playing more of a "supportive role" as a pre-gain boost and tone shaper.
It sounds good boosting drives and also boosting my amp overdrive.

I've built the MBP version (Husky Boy) and tried them side by side. They're both based on the Jack Orman Mini-Boost circuit and serve the same function.
I found it interesting the the Bean version sounded a bit more scooped in the mids than the PPCB which is a direct trace of the Fulltone circuit.

They both sound great and I can see them both making the the "boost rotation" on my chain.

The Fulltone version comes with some really obnoxious and goofy component values. Like 1uf BiPolar E-caps. 30nf film cap and 3nf film caps.
After checking with @Robert I subbed some WIMA 1uf film caps in place of the 1uf BPs. I sorted through my 33nf caps and found a low-ish one for the 30nf and sorted through my 3n3 caps for a low-ish one for the 3n.

None worse for the wear, it sounds great! It can get into a light overdrive with the gain cranked but I think it excels as a clean boost "bottom fattener". Sounds awesome on a a Tele or Strat.

Those are dog hairs from Bonnie the Wonder Dog on the enclosure, not scratches...heh.

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5605.JPG

Back