DEMO Octavia clone from using Madbean's Retrograde layout

This post contains an audio or video demo
This etch is far beyond my wildest dreams- super demo too!

Aw, thanks man. It was a pretty random thing to try. I was surprised the reverse etch thing actually worked. The enclosure got very hot as the surface wore away. Had to pull it out of the acid every 30 seconds to let it cool.

The demo was for a buyer on Reverb. He bought it while I was editing the demo so this video is just for my PedalPCB brethren (and sistren.) His main reason for buying mine instead of the commercial "Chicago Iron" version: negative ground. (Also, mine was $80, not $400.)

Last edited:
That looks so classic, I love the reverse etch. What did you use to mask it?

Very slick. I agree with dawson, that etch is too cool.
That looks so classic, I love the reverse etch. What did you use to mask it?
This came out sick. Really nice work

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
It's nice to have a small corner of the universe (this forum) that gives a shit about this stuff. :)

What did you use to mask it?

I think I used Press-n-peel Blue ironed directly onto the enclosure with a clothes iron. I'm not totally sure. The project sat in a box for about 10 years. I fell out of love with the Octavia for a while. I found all the parts in a box and figured I should build it and make a few bucks.

I told a pro-guitarist friend that the Octavia was always my dream fuzz but it was too gnarley for my playing. His wisdom was:

"That's because you play alone in a bedroom. With a live band, the Octavia and fuzz face variants cut through like nothing else.” :unsure:

Back