Opinions on Relay Bypass

JamieJ

Do many of you actively like to use relay switching over a 3pdt?

If you do - what are the benefits?

Is it mainly the reliability?

Probably the most common benefit is that momentary soft switches are typically more reliable than 3PDT footswitches, they also don't have the loud mechanical "clunk" of some 3PDTs.

For me, it's all about added functionality. Microcontroller-based relay switching opens up a whole new world of possibilities that aren't reasonable (or possible) with a standard mechanical footswitch.

Just to name few...
You can do the latching/momentary trick. (Intelligent Relay Bypass module)
Multiple functions in one footswitch (Hold the footswitch to increase reverb dwell to maximum, etc)
XOR switching of multiple effects in one enclosure (One stomp to activate effect #1 while instantly bypassing effect #2 and #3)

Microcontroller-based switching is an integral part of the upcoming VIIB project, it wouldn't have been the same without it.

The only negatives I can think of are added cost and slightly higher current requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the most common benefit is that momentary soft switches are typically more reliable than 3PDT footswitches, they also don't have the loud mechanical "clunk" of some 3PDTs.

For me, it's all about added functionality. Microcontroller-based relay switching opens up a whole new world of possibilities that aren't reasonable (or possible) with a standard mechanical footswitch.

Just to name few...
You can do the latching/momentary trick. (Intelligent Relay Bypass module)
Multiple functions in one footswitch (Hold the footswitch to increase reverb dwell to maximum, etc)
XOR switching of multiple effects in one enclosure (One stomp to activate effect #1 while instantly bypassing effect #2 and #3)

Microcontroller-based switching is an integral part of the upcoming VIIB project, it wouldn't have been the same without it.

The only negatives I can think of are added cost and slightly higher current requirements.

It's the functionality for me, too.
After going round and round with bypass methods, I've found my favorite for a single pedal is a high-quality 3PDT - no pops, instant switching and I've found I actually prefer a bit of touch confirmation when i engage an effect.

The PedalPCB intelligent relay is hands-down the best relay system I've come across, though. So good I'm checking every day to see when they're available again so I can finish another multi-pedal project with XOR switching.

Feel like this is a decent enough existing thread to drop this 101 question that google + wikipedia was no help with:

Is substituting relays possible / ok? If so, like I see that TQ2-L-5V for example is a latching single coil DPDT (2 Form C) - is that enough specification that pinout for others will be the same? TQ2-L-5V is easy enough to find cheap so I'm not really asking for any practical reason but just wanna understand.

The factors involved are the voltage and switches (SPDT/DPDT etc) obviously but the other factors to take into account are, as you mentioned, latching vs. non-latching, and also the physical footprint. You would have to have a data sheet handy to make sure the pins line up as you'd expect them.

The factors involved are the voltage and switches (SPDT/DPDT etc) obviously but the other factors to take into account are, as you mentioned, latching vs. non-latching, and also the physical footprint. You would have to have a data sheet handy to make sure the pins line up as you'd expect them.

Thank you so much! Gonna shorthand this in my brain as "basically the same effort as substituting a transistor"

I've seen a few alternate latching relays but it seems like most of them were end-of-life components. I'll try to pay attention and post the manufacturer/part numbers when I see them.

Another factor is polarity of the coil... Some are opposite so the relay would be out of sync with the LED.

Back