Oroku compared to original Shredmaster

posarelli

It's a nice design and sound very well, with a a caviat: the tone control is a way less effective than the original pedal...
On the original shredmater (I have one as a reference here fomr 90's) the tone control has more impact on the signal on this oroku PCB is less interactive and don't seems to impact well on the sound...

Anyone here do have try this PCB a doable solution on this behaviour already?
Tnx in advance!

Last edited:
I opened my shredmaster: central pin of treble (RV2) goes stright to Operational Amp OC1 while in Oroku Board (despite the circuit draw) goes in a resistor (R101)...
That's strange...

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-27 at 14.53.41.jpeg

I think you’ve circled pin 2 of the countour pot on your Oroku board, so not sure whether you’re talking about issues with the treble or contour controls on yours - or both?

FWIW I built an Oroku and find bass, treble and countour quite interactive and usable on it. It’s always tricky comparing similar pedals - tolerances on the potentiometers alone can make an audible difference.

Yes you're both right, I was pointing in the wrong potentiometer.
My mistake: sorry about that.
But the issue on treble is real, comparing to the real pedal, Oroku is quite less aggressive and I'd say less usable, on treble.
I try to change value of capacitor in C16 from 1nF to 470pF and I think I prefer this way althought is not present in the original circuit.

C16 is reported in the Aion solstice PCB (it's the same design) as one of the point to bright the whole pedal:

"Many people feel that the biggest flaw with the stock Shredmaster is the steep treble cut introduced near the end. C16 is a 1nF capacitor that forms a low-pass filter right before the volume control and is solely responsible for this cut. The common consensus is that the circuit will perform much better if this capacitor is dropped down to 330pF or 470pF to allow more treble through this stage."

I'm well aware that this can affect the whole pedal but I tried and the overall sound and character it's still there...
For the correct values: I double check and I'm pretty sure that it's the right ones.
Plus the values are written direct on the PCB it's very difficult to miss them :D

Late to the party here, but did anybody try replacing C10 with a smaller cap? I'd maybe try 220pf there instead. It's cutting a ton of high end in that volume recovery gain stage.

Back
Top Bottom