SOLVED Son of Ben Preamp - Potentiometer grounds the output in enclosure

GS4558

The classic "pedal works until put in the enclosure" problem, except I already know that potentiometer ("Bass" control) touching the bare metal enclosure is causing the output signal to short into the ground, and I still have no idea how to resolve this issue. This also happened during my Muffin Fuzz build with the "Tone" knob, which I hap-hazardly resolved the issue by wrapping electrical tapes around where it would touch the enclosure. However, as I am building this for a friend of mine, I would like a much more effective solution to this problem. Thank you in advance!

I'm just putting on few layers of electrical tape on the back, but it still works when I push towards the board when out of the case, so I assume that's not the issue?

Is it possible you have a short elsewhere? The soldering could be a lot cleaner, and there are lots of strands all over the place.

A bit of advice- tin your wires before you attach them on and off-board. It will keep all those joints nicer and you won’t run the risk of a little tiny wire causing havoc. And maybe turn your iron up a bit- do you know what it’s set on?

My soldering iron's usually set at 325F.
I built a pedal with tinning all the wires once, but I struggled to put the tinned wires through the PCB holes due to it being thicker by solidified solder, are there any tips and trick for an easier process?

Update: Added electrical tapes on top so the pot body would not make contact with the pot leg from the one above and it seemed to do the trick and I have no issue now.

F or C?

Pot covers are your friend. Electrical tape will betray you.

If you use a hotter iron, you should get a light coat of solder on the wire you’re tinning. If you’re not going to tin stranded wire, consider buying solid core wire.

good luck!

Mistyped, I meant 325 Celcius, sorry about that.
And yeah, after this experience I will for sure invest in the pot covers.
I'll try setting my iron hotter for tinning wires next time.
Thank you!

Back