Paragon

I've used the original analogman k.o.t. v4 schematic and changed the paragon power supply with four jumpers. I soldered a 1N5817 diode directly to the power socket +9V (D7, D14, D15 are jumpered). Just like analogman I've used two electrolytic capacitors 100uF/50V for the power supply. C21/100uF is for the main power supply including the led's. The jumper on IC pins 2+3 connect C21 to ground. C11/100uF (stock) is for the voltage devider. I wouldn't change anything here, but there are other ways to jumper it to get the same result.
Amazing build.

I’m curious about a couple of things as i want to build this same build.

1. Why are some resistors socketed?
2. What’s did you mean by you soldered a diode direct to the power socket? I’m not sure i understand where the 1n5817 is located

Amazing build.

I’m curious about a couple of things as i want to build this same build.

1. Why are some resistors socketed?
2. What’s did you mean by you soldered a diode direct to the power socket? I’m not sure i understand where the 1n5817 is located
Thank's!

1. I've socketed them to test the sound difference to carbon resistors in this position.
2. That means, I soldered the diode directly to the DC jack, not to the pcb.

Last edited:
You know if you left D7 on the board, you would not have to mount it outboard on the power jack. When you say you used the Analogman v4 schematic, what parts did you change from the PedalPCB build docs? C1, C12, R3, R17, anything else?

Last edited:
You know if you left D7 on the board, you would not have to mount it outboard on the power jack. When you say you used the Analogman v4 schematic, what parts did you change from the PedalPCB build docs? C1, C12, R3, R17, anything else?
yes, but I wanted it that way. It could of course have been solved differently. I've already described the omission of the charge pump, the rest corresponds to Analogmans k.o.t. v4 schematic.

Last edited:
What values did you use for C1, C12, R3 & R17? According to this (alleged v4) schematic, those are all different from the Paragon's BOM. I'm not criticizing, just asking.

Analogman King of Tone v4.gif

Love this build, thanks also for providing all that information on the modifications you've made.

I was hoping you could help with two questions:
1. When you turn up gain and tone on both sides (both sides engaged), does your build squeal or oscillate? Any difference with or without a buffered pedal before in the signal chain?
2. You mentioned that you have an original KoT, any oscillation/squealing on that with the controls dimed?

The squealing issue seems to be present with many KoT clones (don't think on the original, but haven't been able to confirm), including the paragon (here and here). Very curious to hear if your modifications fixed this problem!

Love this build, thanks also for providing all that information on the modifications you've made.

I was hoping you could help with two questions:
1. When you turn up gain and tone on both sides (both sides engaged), does your build squeal or oscillate? Any difference with or without a buffered pedal before in the signal chain?
2. You mentioned that you have an original KoT, any oscillation/squealing on that with the controls dimed?

The squealing issue seems to be present with many KoT clones (don't think on the original, but haven't been able to confirm), including the paragon (here and here). Very curious to hear if your modifications fixed this problem!
Hi!
No, I have no oscillation/squealing problems at all. Do you have build the paragon with or without the charge pump? I tryed a buffered booster pedal in front of my paragon and original KoT also, the amount of hiss was a bit different, that's all.

Last edited:
Hi!
No, I have no oscillation/squealing problems at all. Do you have build the paragon with or without the charge pump? I tryed a buffered booster pedal in front of my paragon and original KoT also, the amont of hiss was a bit different, that's all.
Hi,
that's really cool, thanks for testing! I actually had this issue with a slightly different KoT build (Fuzzdog Emperor), even with the charge pump removed. Trying to find out if the Paragon has the same issue, I came across some forum posts that suggested it has the same oscillation problem.

Thanks also for confirming that the original doesn't suffer from this problem, I always assumed that, but could never confirm.

Just ordered a Paragon PCB plus a bunch of those Dale resistors, love the way your PCB looks!

Hi,
that's really cool, thanks for testing! I actually had this issue with a slightly different KoT build (Fuzzdog Emperor), even with the charge pump removed. Trying to find out if the Paragon has the same issue, I came across some forum posts that suggested it has the same oscillation problem.

Thanks also for confirming that the original doesn't suffer from this problem, I always assumed that, but could never confirm.

Just ordered a Paragon PCB plus a bunch of those Dale resistors, love the way your PCB looks!
Thank you, you're welcome.

What a fantastic and beautiful build thanks for sharing! Very helpful too as I want to build one of these and bypass the charge pump so thank you for sharing that.
What type of film caps did you use? They look like panasonic but do you know are they the polyester or are they like polypropylene or something like that? Thanks

What a fantastic and beautiful build thanks for sharing! Very helpful too as I want to build one of these and bypass the charge pump so thank you for sharing that.
What type of film caps did you use? They look like panasonic but do you know are they the polyester or are they like polypropylene or something like that? Thanks
Thank you! I have used panasonic smf caps.

Mouser and Digikey have those I believe. Tayda has other Panasonic series. You can find other vendors on Google I think.

Back