Parametric EQs

jhaneyzz

I have had a Wampler Equator at the end of my board for a long time. Frankly, it is the one pedal that I have never once taken off my board.

But it's a butt-ugly color. I could just take it apart and redo the paint job, but where's the fun in that?

Anyone know of a super awesome Parametric EQ PCB?

Anyone know of a super awesome Parametric EQ PCB?
The Wampler appears to just be a semi-PEQ since it has no Q controls, no? I've never gotten on with semi-PEQ, personally, as I find that different frequencies really want different bandwidths for best effect. In any case, I'm working on an open source one right now, hoping to get it into @BuddytheReow's currently running contest thread. You also might want to look at my other open source stuff: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/passinwind-open-source-hybrid-filter-preamp-builds.12146/ . The resonant LPF board can be built up standalone and is easily retuned for guitar applications, which I assume is your intended purpose?

The Wampler appears to just be a semi-PEQ since it has no Q controls, no? I've never gotten on with semi-PEQ, personally, as I find that different frequencies really want different bandwidths for best effect. In any case, I'm working on an open source one right now, hoping to get it into @BuddytheReow's currently running contest thread. You also might want to look at my other open source stuff: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/passinwind-open-source-hybrid-filter-preamp-builds.12146/ . The resonant LPF board can be built up standalone and is easily retuned for guitar applications, which I assume is your intended purpose?

Correct, there is no direct control of Q. but the two mids controls have different Qs, The controls are super intuitive and very guitar-centric. I just find it to be really easy to grab one, or at most two knobs to tweak anything I need.

It is essentially a 4 band active eq with the ability to tweak the frequency of the two Mid controls.

Bass - 130hz
Treble - 7khz
Mids 1 - 238hz and 5khz – "wide Q" for overall mids control
Mids 2 - 480hz to 4.8khz– "narrow Q" for fine tuining and especially useful for taming spikes.

Correct, there is no direct control of Q. but the two mids controls have different Qs, The controls are super intuitive and very guitar-centric. I just find it to be really easy to grab one, or at most two knobs to tweak anything I need.

It is essentially a 4 band active eq with the ability to tweak the frequency of the two Mid controls.

Bass - 130hz
Treble - 7khz
Mids 1 - 238hz and 5khz – "wide Q" for overall mids control
Mids 2 - 480hz to 4.8khz– "narrow Q" for fine tuining and especially useful for taming spikes.
That sounds pretty well thought out, and if it works it works! With bass I hear from my luthier clients that for instance 400 is a boost frequency, 800 is cut, 1.6K is cut, 2K is boost,..you name it. And boost and cut functions definitely benefit from different Qs IME. Hence the mid frequency switching scheme I'm using on many of the pedals.

Anyhow, I was pretty surprised to find out that the resonant LPF pedals work even better for acoustic guitar and mandolin than for bass guitar. And those users tend to have an easier time with getting to grips with the control interaction, which is a big part of what makes these things cool IMO. I haven't tried one on a proper jazz box yet but I expect it would work really well for old school Wes/Metheny/Pass tonalities.

Back