DEMO Parthenon Drive (Wampler Pantheon) Demo Added

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Put this together yesterday.

It's a BluesBreaker. It sounds like a BluesBreaker. And.........that's probably why I don't like it much. heh.

If you like the classic MBB sound then this is a great variant with some tricks up the sleeve with some subtle voicing mods and extra gain
and of course no "low output" issue.

Having said that, my favorite MBB variants have modified clipping and sound less fizzy. The Paragon family, the King's Hand.

The only way I'm really able to use this is with the gain turned way down and more of a boost a la one certain famous and successful douchebag who made the MBB famous again on his album of gay pop..... :ROFLMAO:

The enclosure is an SBP one that I can't recall the name of the color. But it's pretty cool with lots of reflective colors in the right light.

IMG_6284.JPG

Busy board and tight squeeze with the toggles....
IMG_6283.JPG

Great Build as always!
Well, seeing you may not be doing another Douchebag's Clone, you could change those diodes out if you want to???

Funny you find this fizzy but not the Paragon/KoT... The trick is to keep the presence low. I personally found it a whole lot less sterile and way more versatile than the KoT, even without using anything but the soft clipping and low gain modes.

Funny you find this fizzy but not the Paragon/KoT... The trick is to keep the presence low. I personally found it a whole lot less sterile and way more versatile than the KoT, even without using anything but the soft clipping and low gain modes.
I find the KOT doesn't have enough Headroom also!

Maybe, this needs a demo after all.......

Not trying to say you don't know what you're doing and the Pantheon definitely CAN sound fizzy, but unless you put on the high gain modes or turn up the presence knob, it's certainly nicer than what I could get out of the KoT.

I would have liked to see the treble & presence tried together in unison.
I like the headroom on the Parthenon & Bass.

Simple Mod
I would put a 50k resistor across legs 1 & 3 pads on the presence control so it becomes a 25k pot & see if you prefer that.

Love That Strat!!!

That's interesting, by all means the Pantheon SHOULD be less bright and fizzy than the KoT and actually was on my own builds. But anyway, great demo and use whatever floats your boat!

The reason I got rid of the Pantheon was because I'm just not THAT into the KoT sound after all, having gone through the Pantheon and KoT clones and also owned a boutique version (Kasleder Toxic Twins), which is a combination of half a KoT and a TS clone (which looked suspiciously identical to the Lovepedal Eternity). That being said, I hated the high gain modes on the Pantheon because they just try to make the pedal something it isn't, and the presence being best if the default is "off" is something that sort of bugs me too.

That's interesting, by all means the Pantheon SHOULD be less bright and fizzy than the KoT and actually was on my own builds. But anyway, great demo and use whatever floats your boat!

The reason I got rid of the Pantheon was because I'm just not THAT into the KoT sound after all, having gone through the Pantheon and KoT clones and also owned a boutique version (Kasleder Toxic Twins), which is a combination of half a KoT and a TS clone (which looked suspiciously identical to the Lovepedal Eternity). That being said, I hated the high gain modes on the Pantheon because they just try to make the pedal something it isn't, and the presence being best if the default is "off" is something that sort of bugs me too.
You sound like you fall into the Low Gain category like I tend to lean towards but obviously the Parthenon was catered to those seeking more if they wanted it, I summize the Presence is there to cater to those that have Dark Sounding Amps.
I'm curious what it would sound like with a set of 1N34A's or similar in the D1 & D2 positions!???

You sound like you fall into the Low Gain category like I tend to lean towards but obviously the Parthenon was catered to those seeking more if they wanted it, I summize the Presence is there to cater to those that have Dark Sounding Amps.
I'm curious what it would sound like with a set of 1N34A's or similar in the D1 & D2 positions!???
I like my low gain pedals to be low gain, not a bad approximation of a high gain pedal. ;)

On the Ratsbane Wampler for some reason also added an even higher gain switch and I just can't see why, the rat is stupid high gain by design already.

Idk what Wampler's obsession is with making low gain pedals high gain and high gain pedals even higher gain, but if I wanted a higher gain Marshall style drive pedal I'd just look into something like a Guvnor or Shredmaster instead for example.

I would have liked to see the treble & presence tried together in unison.
I like the headroom on the Parthenon & Bass.

Simple Mod
I would put a 50k resistor across legs 1 & 3 pads on the presence control so it becomes a 25k pot & see if you prefer that.

Love That Strat!!!
I'm really digging these Victory Gold Foils. Really really great and "authentic" sounding Gold Foils (not just a cosmetic gold screen like a lot of cheaper gold foils).

By nature they are not potted and quite microphonic (but extremely quiet for single coils, much quieter than Strat pickups).
That microphonic bit is part of what gives it the unique tone.

It's a bit of a challenge for me to play the 3 pickup guitars without hitting the middle pickup with my pick.

You hear a lot of that "clicking" coming through.

Probably a plastic style Gold Foil like the Gemini pickups would solve that problem, but I prefer the metal look. So vanity wins....... :ROFLMAO:

Idk what Wampler's obsession is with making low gain pedals high gain and high gain pedals even higher gain, but if I wanted a higher gain Marshall style drive pedal I'd just look into something like a Guvnor or Shredmaster instead for example.
I agree with you. The answer to the obsession is probably commercial. How many threads have you seen in FSB or DIYSB where it's "I have this pedal, how to get more gain?".

Hmmm, I'm going to need to watch some more Pantheon demo's. To me, the Parthenon sounds more like a classic Blues Breaker which isn't my thing.

Also I should mention that my Paragon build, I did the "warmer tone" mods and also used some carbon comp mojo parts in the signal path to warm it up. Built stock it's also a bit bright.

In general though, the MBB variants that I like are one that are warmer/fuller sounding. The King's Hand, the Pauper, Paragon and the (cough cough) Pot & Kettle.

I have a feeling that would make it even fizzier.....

I like my low gain pedals to be low gain, not a bad approximation of a high gain pedal. ;)

On the Ratsbane Wampler for some reason also added an even higher gain switch and I just can't see why, the rat is stupid high gain by design already.

My favorite and the ONLY high gain MBB variant is @szukalski's "Sheepy Love Wise Ass". Based on an obscure Japanese variant.
It's definitely not fizzy hahaha.

But ya, I tend to run my Paragon as a low gain pedal or just a slightly dirty "push".

Back