DEMO SugarBag Drive (Beetronics Fat Bee) - Demo Added

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I built this one out today expecting to like it, but not expecting to like as much as I do!

And not for the usual reasons either. (More on that in a bit).

I had not heard of this until I saw it mentioned by someone in the troubleshooting forum. I think it was @Fama.

Reading the thread the ever helpful @music6000 posted a YouTube demo of pedal which I dutifully watched hahaha.

I liked what I was hearing enough to throw it in my cart for the last coupon sale.

My build went smoothly with no issues and no broken traces or anything like that. It was a pretty typical and uneventful build.

Firing it up I was rewarded with a fat, warm, fuzzy, yet still somehow "transparent" overdrive bordering on fuzz. Some really cool sounds.
I played around on it with my white strat then switched to humbuckers on my Eastman semi-hollow. It's almost like two different drives between single and hums. Pretty interesting. The low gain sounds are pretty cool with a lot of girth and fatness, crank up the drive knob and it sounds to me like an old Supro or Gibson GA5.
It's got a real "amp-like" response and doesn't sound so boxy like a pedal.

Dime the gain on humbuckers and you're into fuzz territory. There's some "Beano" "Woman Tone" there but it's more like "Crazy Chick Tone".

So all the above was great but I found that it also stacks really really well with just about any kind of drive after it.
I've been messing around with a lot of dirt pedals on my desk recently and Just going down the chain, with the gain knob on the Sugarbag around 11 o'clock, it brings something really cool to just about any other dirt pedal. From low gain (Acer and Paragon) to high gain (Wise Ass, Jump Drive, Mammal) to off the wall (Rat Salad).

It was so neat that I'm going to do a demo of the pedal at some point, (but not today).

If you like fuzzes, you'll like this pedal, if you like old school, Supro-ish trashy amp sounds, you'll like this pedal. If you like mixing and matching stacking drives, you'll like this pedal. (Sense a theme here? hahaha).

Anyway, highly recommended, great sounding and more versatile than it initially appears. Easy build, medium component count and nothing goofy.

Demo pending......stay tuned.

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5707.JPG

I love that knob and enclosure combo on this one. I've been curious about this circuit. I loved the Flock harmonizing fuzz I built so I have the other Beetronics stuff on the wishlist now. good stuff.

The issue wth this pedal was the first demo released was done with an amp on the verge of Breakup which wasn't disclosed til way later in the video.
By then most had turned off the video & moved on
That put it in the category on Fuzz only territory.
Members here that like that tone were undewhelmed when they built it with their Clean Amp.
Members that don't like that tone skipped building it so I listed a Demo here with a Clean Amp & it's a different pedal.

first demo
This has been edited since release & starts further into the video??? :

My listed demo :

I make it a rule to watch demo's with Clean Amp displayed with single coil & humbuckers!

Build is clean 🫧🧼🚿🧽 inside and I know I've seen those colors before
giphy.webp

Back