DEMO AionFX Gladiator (King Tone Duellist) - Demo Added

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Following on the heels of @Joben Magooch 's build report I built mine out today.

It was funny when he posted his build report I had "just" pulled that board out, picked out an enclosure and knobs for it and it was sitting on my desk waiting to be taken to the garage for parts pulling, which I did yesterday evening.

I put it together this morning and have about 45 minutes of play time on the pedal.

As @Joben Magooch mentioned, this is a YATS into an MBB. But It's pretty tweaked and not a standard fare TS or MBB.

I've actually built both of these pedals individually with the boards from @Robert, the Kings Hand and Lone King boards. In fact I've built both versions of the King's Hand. I can't exactly remember what he changed on the revision. But I really dig the sound of the Kings Hand. It's an MBB but it's got more "girth" than a typical MBB and not as bright or "transparent" if you will than the King of Tone. If you like the general sound of the Paragon/Pauper but wish it had a bit more warmth and a bit more "oomph" you could think of the Duellist in that light, a warmer, thicker and fuller sounding KOT/Paragon. (At least the MBB side anyway).

The Lone King on the other hand (King Tone Soloist) was underwhelming for me initially, it took some time for it to grow on me. I think that my expectations of it were probably off. King Tone says in their marketing schpiel that it's supposed to be a "String Singer" type of SRV pedal, so I was thinking low gain, cranked Fender, which is not at all what it sounds like (to me). It sounds more like a classic TS808 than a modded SRV-ish pedal. But once I got over that and started messing with the settings and EQ options I started liking it more and it's become one of my more favored YATS's.

Anyway, why build this? I dunno, been sitting on this board for a while and I have a bunch of 1590BB's that need guts.... :ROFLMAO: .

On that note, it's designed to go into a 1590BBS or BBM if you plan to use the Send/Return loop feature like @Joben Magooch did. I was not planning to and with a couple of tweaks it fit nicely in a 1590BB.

So one bonehead move I did was not read carefully enough when I was putting together all the parts and I wound up using On-On toggles instead On-Off-On.
So I'm missing the "stock" EQ setting. I was mulling over tearing it apart and putting the correct toggles in but pulled out my Lone King and King's Hand first for a bit of play and see what I was missing. I decided to punt on the toggles, I generally prefer it on the "Fat" or "Glass" settings anyway.

It sounds really good on single coils to me where the Paragon sounds better with humbuckers to me.

It's a good enough sounding pedal that I'll try to pull a demo together and do some comparison's with some of my other MBB variants.

IMG_5683.JPG

I had to put the 100uf power filter caps on the back side of the footswitch board to make it fit in a 1590BB.
I also had to teepee a couple of the odd resistor values that I didn't have.

IMG_5665.JPG

Edit: I used BA282's that the original uses. I have a bunch of both the 282's and BAS33's which are pretty close in terms of clipping voltage but they sound different to me. I like the 282's the best for any MBB type pedal.

Last edited:
Totally agree on the BA282s they're becoming my go to for silicon clippers. I bought 100 of them when Smallbear was knocking them out at 25c each.

I've got a kings hand and lone king in my pcb pile but I think I got caught up in Joey Landreth, TPS hype and am not sure it's my kinda pedal. I'm doubt I'll bother building them tbh.

Totally agree on the BA282s they're becoming my go to for silicon clippers. I bought 100 of them when Smallbear was knocking them out at 25c each.

I've got a kings hand and lone king in my pcb pile but I think I got caught up in Joey Landreth, TPS hype and am not sure it's my kinda pedal. I'm doubt I'll bother building them tbh.
I'll put up a demo tomorrow and you can judge for yourself. I dig it for sure. @szukalski 's "Wise Ass" is like an MBB on steroids!

I did a tone demo today of the Gladiator comparing it to some of my other MBB variants.
After I finished the recording I realized I left out the Pro-10 drive. Rats, I like that one too. Would have been cool to see how it sounded in comparison.

Also compared it to the AionFX Cerulean, which is a straight up Marshall Blues Breaker as I recall. I also hate the way it sounds heh.
I don't think I've touched it since I built it. It was a "kit" from Aion and might have been either my second or third pedal I ever built.

My favorites are the Sheepy Love Wise Sheep for a high gain MBB, that thing just kicks ass.
The Paragon for low gain stuff and the Kings Hand for medium gain crunchy stuff.

I like the King's Hand that I built better than the circuit as part of the Gladiator, even though they're the same circuit.

Anyway, this turned out to be a long video. Like 17 min. I lost track of time just fiddling with knobs and going back and forth amongst the pedals.

Oh and also, I used my Gold Strat in which I did my LAST pickup swap this morning. After living with the Planet Tone David Gilmour set for a couple weeks, I just found myself wishing for the Lollars that I had in there last. This might be the 4th or 5th pickup swap in this guitar if I'm keeping track correctly. This Lollar set has been in this guitar twice now heh, and they sound like, well, Lollars. There's just something really special with some of Jason Lollar's single coils. The Special S and Vintage Blonde strat pickups are just magical and seem to have an endless supply of fairy dust. :p If I ever get my black strat painted, I'll revisit the notion of a Gilmour tribute guitar, I have two sets of "Gilmour" pickups now for it heh.

And finally, this is the first appearance of my new Frenzel DP525 amp. Not an amp demo really. That will be coming soon.
I'm still learning the ins and out of the amp but I was able to dial up a really nice, lush clean tone as a platform for pedals.
I also installed a set of JJ KT77's in the amp. I didn't get the JJ's for this amp but I couldn't wait until this weekend for my Genelec Gold Lion KT77's to show up. I really wanted to see how the amp sounded with the 77's. So in went the JJ's. They are surpassing my expectations so far. Very happy with how this amp sounds.

Interesting vid, Michael! I see the Paragon works with charge pump and ask myself how the Gladiator would sound with a 18 volt power supply.
I don't have a charge pump in my Paragon builds. I've left them all out. I don't care for how it sounds at 18v.

I did a tone demo today of the Gladiator comparing it to some of my other MBB variants.
After I finished the recording I realized I left out the Pro-10 drive. Rats, I like that one too. Would have been cool to see how it sounded in comparison.

Also compared it to the AionFX Cerulean, which is a straight up Marshall Blues Breaker as I recall. I also hate the way it sounds heh.
I don't think I've touched it since I built it. It was a "kit" from Aion and might have been either my second or third pedal I ever built.

My favorites are the Sheepy Love Wise Sheep for a high gain MBB, that thing just kicks ass.
The Paragon for low gain stuff and the Kings Hand for medium gain crunchy stuff.

I like the King's Hand that I built better than the circuit as part of the Gladiator, even though they're the same circuit.

Anyway, this turned out to be a long video. Like 17 min. I lost track of time just fiddling with knobs and going back and forth amongst the pedals.

Oh and also, I used my Gold Strat in which I did my LAST pickup swap this morning. After living with the Planet Tone David Gilmour set for a couple weeks, I just found myself wishing for the Lollars that I had in there last. This might be the 4th or 5th pickup swap in this guitar if I'm keeping track correctly. This Lollar set has been in this guitar twice now heh, and they sound like, well, Lollars. There's just something really special with some of Jason Lollar's single coils. The Special S and Vintage Blonde strat pickups are just magical and seem to have an endless supply of fairy dust. :p If I ever get my black strat painted, I'll revisit the notion of a Gilmour tribute guitar, I have two sets of "Gilmour" pickups now for it heh.

And finally, this is the first appearance of my new Frenzel DP525 amp. Not an amp demo really. That will be coming soon.
I'm still learning the ins and out of the amp but I was able to dial up a really nice, lush clean tone as a platform for pedals.
I also installed a set of JJ KT77's in the amp. I didn't get the JJ's for this amp but I couldn't wait until this weekend for my Genelec Gold Lion KT77's to show up. I really wanted to see how the amp sounded with the 77's. So in went the JJ's. They are surpassing my expectations so far. Very happy with how this amp sounds.

The amp sounded great by itself.

Hey @MichaelW, hate to wake up an old thread, but I’m having trouble finding an answer. I’m about ready to order up and print my enclosure for this exact build, but I want to label the toggle switches for the Fat/Stock/Glass settings. My assumption is that it goes in that order from top (fat)/middle (stock)/bottom (glass) on the switch, but again, can’t confirm. I reached out to Aion and haven’t heard back, so figured I’d ask if you knew. Thanks!

Also, demo sounds great! Love your playing. And you’re right, there is something incredibly special about Lollar single coil pups.

Hey @MichaelW, hate to wake up an old thread, but I’m having trouble finding an answer. I’m about ready to order up and print my enclosure for this exact build, but I want to label the toggle switches for the Fat/Stock/Glass settings. My assumption is that it goes in that order from top (fat)/middle (stock)/bottom (glass) on the switch, but again, can’t confirm. I reached out to Aion and haven’t heard back, so figured I’d ask if you knew. Thanks!

Also, demo sounds great! Love your playing. And you’re right, there is something incredibly special about Lollar single coil pups.
Hey @Lytt Effects, I goofed and used On-On toggles so I don't have the "stock" setting. But as I recall down was Glass and Up was Fat. It's basically turned 90 degrees from the retail pedal.

Back