Pathogen

Yalesmith

Just finished this build and it has tons of distortion and sounds really good. There are 2 things about the pedal that concerns me. First, unity gain is about 80/90% volume turned up …. a bunch of my other pedals are closer to 30/40% of volume. Second, it seems a little dark

I know if this is normal for the pedal? But I suspect the attenueted volume is the cause for it sounding a little dark.

Any help directing me to where to investigate would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpeg
    IMG_0991.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 7
Hello, welcome !

this is normal for the pedal?
Yes, i built it too and i need to set Treble fully CW to have some noticeable High frequencies. There is also a position on the toggleswitch that is darker than the other. But when Treble is set fully CW, Bass and Mids at 12' and the toggle is set on the brighter position, it's not dark anymore.

About the volume, on my build if Gain is set fully CCW (0%), unity gain is also around 80% or 90% of the Volume pot's rotation.
When Gain is set at 12' (50%) then unity gain is slightly past 12' on the volume pot.
This circuit can be loud, if Gain is set at high values.

So, i don't think you have any issues, if you checked your unity volume with Gain at low values.

(side joke edited)

Last edited:
The pathogen is the same as a Wrectifier outside of one cap and one resistor. If you’re sure yours sounds off check out some YouTube videos. Reflow all your solder joints regardless of how they look. After that, check all your resistor and cap values.

Back