Pauper diodes? Really???

EZS

Ok electro geeks (myself included), in laymans terms, can a ma856 majically overpriced mythical diode be replicated, or sort of? Somewhere I read you can put another something in series with a 1n4148 and you will have near exact forward voltage? And,,,,, is the ma856 really all that important. Whats this sound like with just 1n4148? Good, Bad, Ugly?
Just ordered the board and of course, no majic beans.
All comments please, to lay this inquiry to rest. Thanks Z

Interested in this. I have a Pauper mostly populated aside from the diodes. I thought I'd just stick 1n4148s in and call it done, then I decided I may as well socket the diodes. As I understand it, the ma856 forward voltage was around 1v compared to a 1n4148 being 0.6v-0.7v. I'm not sure how the current would effect the measurement. I look at those datasheets sometimes and my head spins. Maybe combining a 1n4148 and a Schottky diode would get around 1v fv.

The KoT/PoT clipping diodes have a *slightly* higher Fv than 1N4148s, which gives them a *slightly* different clipping characteristic (that you probably wouldn't really notice if nobody'd told you to listen for, but it is there).

The MA856/858/859 are what were in the originals, but they're not the only diode out there with the right Fv - AnalogMan's been using BA282s (although they've been discontinued for a while and the supply out there is drying up, as is supply of its sibling the BA283), The MXR Duke of Tone uses BA479s (still seems readily available but also discontinued), AionFX suggests BAS33 (which, again, still readily available but also discontinued).

Is a tiny smidge more headroom before clipping worth hunting down dying part numbers? Eh, maybe at least once to see if it's a big enough deal to matter to you; there's way weirder and more expensive things to waste money on.

If you must. Pedalhacker has them but I've heard a bit here and there about him being MIA?
So, maybe call/email in advance.
Or try 1SS133s?

I would strongly recommend you not waste your time with Pedalhacker's webstore. No disrespect to the owner, I understand they're having health issues, but I had two orders that were never fulfilled after two months, tried to communicate with them multiple times with no response, disputed the charges with my bank and had the sales refunded and still never heard from them.

I would strongly recommend you not waste your time with Pedalhacker's webstore. No disrespect to the owner, I understand they're having health issues, but I had two orders that were never fulfilled after two months, tried to communicate with them multiple times with no response, disputed the charges with my bank and had the sales refunded and still never heard from them.
That doesn’t sound good. Yikes. Hope he’s ok.

Interested in this. I have a Pauper mostly populated aside from the diodes. I thought I'd just stick 1n4148s in and call it done, then I decided I may as well socket the diodes. As I understand it, the ma856 forward voltage was around 1v compared to a 1n4148 being 0.6v-0.7v. I'm not sure how the current would effect the measurement. I look at those datasheets sometimes and my head spins. Maybe combining a 1n4148 and a Schottky diode would get around 1v fv.
I have used 1n4148/1n914 in series with a BAT46 or 41 and it gets very close. That said I’m not sure I hear a diff sufficient to warrant tenting diodes. It’s not a big deal, I’m just grumpy.

I got a couple MA858 from Retroamplis, along with some 1N3070 and 1S2473. Vfs read in the .800s with a TC-1.

BA282 is also very sought after now and priced high. Seems like all our loved through hole stuff is quickly disappearing.
We need the 10 cent backyard fix.

I just discovered I have an old version Kings Hand pcb which calls for BA282's as well.

I just discovered I have an old version Kings Hand pcb which calls for BA282's as well.

You can either pay $1-$2 each for ba282 from the few retailers who still have them or just order that 10 pack of BAS33 I linked above from stompboxparts for $1.20, it'll get you close enough for both of those pedals. Or just fire some 1n4148 in there.

You can either pay $1-$2 each for ba282 from the few retailers who still have them or just order that 10 pack of BAS33 I linked above from stompboxparts for $1.20, it'll get you close enough for both of those pedals. Or just fire some 1n4148 in there.
Thanks for the link, I believe thats the answer.

/dons flameproof suit

it really doesn't matter that much.
(if it matters to you, that's ok)

to test for yourself whether this might matter to you or not, take a TS/timmy style overdrive, and then try putting x2 different clipping options (four 4148s vs two) on a DPDT switch, and then see how much difference you notice..

1693969577855.png

i did this recently with an overdrive and i concluded that the difference was not worth keeping the switching option.
yes, there is a difference, but it's just so small.

ive decided that all this BS with magic diodes is conveniently purported by those who stand to gain from upholding the myth and mystery, rather than there being any real audible merit.
if you think another 0.2V of forward voltage is going to make a meaningful difference worth the chase, well, rock on \m/

These are the closest diode you'll easily get to MA856 now. Any of the other subs are crazy expensive now.

Just ordered some, get these projects moving along.

Yep, ordered a LOT of stuff from PedalHacker in one go and never received the stuff, never heard from them at all.
The webstore should be taken offline, since the orders aren't being fulfilled.

Hopefully the $$$$$ I spent helps with the medical bills.

if the combined vf for the pair is 1.6v that’s about the drop on infrared leds. can’t speak from personal experience but i’m building one soon and that’s what i’m gonna try socketing first

Yep, ordered a LOT of stuff from PedalHacker in one go and never received the stuff, never heard from them at all.
The webstore should be taken offline, since the orders aren't being fulfilled.

Hopefully the $$$$$ I spent helps with the medical bills.

That sucks dude. Can you not get it refunded via PayPal or your credit card company? I know he's sick but it's not a reason to just take peoples money and ghost them.

Back