PedalPCB Brown Betty with voicing switch (Brown Betty/Dirty Sanchez/Thermionic)

lowpitch

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So I built a Brown Betty and since I hate commitment I added a switch to toggle between Brown Betty, Dirty Sanchez and Thermionic Deluxe specs. I had some concerns that the wiring to the switch would add significant noise but it turned out fine.
Two resistors (or trimpots if I can fit them) are still missing on the vero. The way it's wired up these will go in parallel with the trimpot on the PCB. So by adjusting the resistors/trimmers on the vero I can get two additional switchable gain settings. I haven't decided on values yet so I left those unpopulated.

The build was pretty smooth, even the switch wiring. Of course I had to trip at the finish line and bungled the DC jack wiring. Woopsie... Fortunately no harm done though. Reversed the wiring and everything worked perfectly.

The Dirty Sanchez has a tight switch instead of a pot but I did not bother including that. My DMM says tight pot at 10 o' clock = DS tight switch off and tight pot at 12 o' clock = DS tight switch on. Other than that there's only one cap difference between the Dirty Sanchez and the Brown Betty and they do sound very similar, the latter being just a tad darker/smoother. I still think having the two on a switch will eventually be useful once I put the resistors on the vero for switchable gain trimpot settings.
The Thermionic is a different beast of course. So much more gain on tap, very aggressive hard clipping. It's a little too much for me to be honest. No sound clips yet but I will be doing a full demo video in a couple of days.

I'm not totally happy with the enclosure design. The corner radii are off and the print turned out way more yellow than anticipated - was supposed to be that beige/gold color of the Friedman pedals. It still looks decent but it could have been better. Oh well. I still got another Brown Betty board so I guess I'll fix it in round two :D

Attachments

• P1250168.jpg
    P1250168.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 27
  • P1250180.jpg
    P1250180.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 26
  • switch.png
    switch.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 27
I think the enclosure's UV design looks great and your off-board vero is tidy. I understand that space is limited in the enclosure, but can you confidently activate the pedal without worrying about accidentally stepping on the rotary switch?

I think the enclosure's UV design looks great and your off-board vero is tidy. I understand that space is limited in the enclosure, but can you confidently activate the pedal without worrying about accidentally stepping on the rotary switch?
Good point. Nope, requires some decent aim for sure. Goes on my to do list for V2, side mounted voicing switch!

Very cool- love the concept. I like the use of a rotary switch too.

If you're doing a round two, and were willing to forgo PCB mounting the TMB pots, you could do two rows of four and get that rotary knob up with the other controls.

Very cool- love the concept. I like the use of a rotary switch too.

If you're doing a round two, and were willing to forgo PCB mounting the TMB pots, you could do two rows of four and get that rotary knob up with the other controls.
I like that idea!

Back