PedalPCB Byrdhouse Compressor

Harry Klippton

You don't see a lot of build reports for this one and HOLY CRAP do I love it! Been sitting on this board for several years now at this point.

I didn't always understand compressors. Previously I had a philosopher's tone that I didn't use and sold, and I still have a danelectro surf n turf that sounds fine but is in one of those crappy plastic enclosures and it's super noisy. For a long time, I've been using a dual rangemaster type pedal on my board. One day I was reading about Roger Mcguinn and how he used a treble booster live in the early days to try and get a sound like the studio compressors they had used while recording. Then I realized that I had been using my treble booster like a compressor and boom, I felt like I understood compressors a bit. I started using the dano with my 12 string and thought oh yeah, this is what I want but like I said, it was noisy and not quite right. So I started working on the Byrdhouse.

I finished wiring this up last night but only just gave it a whirl now. It's exactly what I wanted. It's super quiet, unlike the dano, and even sounded good with the other pedals on my board. The clarity I thought was lacking from this guitar and/or pickups is now present with the comp on. Of course I mostly like it on the bright setting. I was actually shocked how dark the dark setting was. I'll have to try that on bass when I get a chance.

The attack knob doesn't actually overlap the outline, but it is quite close. Something about the large skirted knobs always makes things look a little off, especially if they're not on the pot shafts perfectly straight.

That's Roger Mcguinn on there with his Rickenbacker 12 string. It's his pedal after all, and he's the reason I even own a 12 string. And I went with chimes of freedom to really beat the dead horse of the Byrds theme thinking chime and jangle aren't too far off from one another.

This is like the most thrilled I've ever been with the sound of a pedal upon completion. I've run my mouth plenty about how I don't even like pedals but I love this one!

IMG_20221229_231853167~2.jpg IMG_20221229_231836282~2.jpg

I just realized why it looks like my knobs are askew left to right. In this round of drilling, I decided to try 8 mm holes instead of seven to aid in ease of insertion when assembling. I can probably just loosen the nuts on the pots and wiggle it into the right position. Nice
Nice! For future work, if you don’t want to drill the holes oversized by a full mm, you can enlarge the holes just a hair or two with a tapered reamer

Thank you for that video! I had forgotten how much I went through a TMBG phase! Fun fact—they used to have an answering machine, (if you’re old enough to remember those), that had a new ~30 second song snippet on the tape, every day. That’s the first video of theirs I’ve seen, and can tell that my day wil be even less productive (but more fun!) than I woke up expecting it to be; a nice way to end the year.

Dude, that looks so clean :cool: Great concept and execution. The Ross/Dyna/Jangle are my favorites. I like the extremeness. I've never bonded with the subtle optical compressors.

Back