[PedalPCB] Tone Vendor

szukalski

Despite being silent on the build report side, I've been silently plugging away at the odd build and here's my Tone Bender MK 1:

12.jpg 14.jpg

Graphics aside (there is a gnat in the clear coat, would have been perfect for a Buzzaround), this was not that challenging from a physical build perspective, but getting the transistors right certainly was and I feel it's my most rewarding pedal yet.

I have been building up a collection of Ge, but finding leaky ones is a challenge (good problems to have?). I followed the advice in another thread by Chuck and finally found something that worked well in Q1 after going through a lot, Q2 and Q3 were not so leaky but fell in the ranges which were recommended. Q3 has a lot of gain, but sounded best to my ears compared to others which had the same empirical ratings.

Talking about ears, this thing is immensely fun. A lot of range with the attack knob, works well with the guitar volume, a nice trumpet-like fuzz. I should get a sound-bite going when I have more free time.

For future reference, if it helps:

Q1: GC121, 46hfe, 0.45mA
Q2: P28, 122hfe, 0.09mA
Q3: 2N1309, 266hfe, 0.12mA

I like that pink/yellow...it screams at you! :love:
It's worth the hassle, isn't it? Finding the right transistors for the pedal. (y)
I built this on a breadboard...but I've never boxed one. That's about to change ;)
Maybe a tribute tune titled "Gnat in the clearcoat"?

Back