Pendulum harmonic tremolo (Vero)

mkstewartesq

I’ll admit that I built this a couple of weeks ago but I was hesitant to post about it here because, while this community is built on replicating existing circuits, I wasn’t sure what the etiquette is around doing a Vero build of a PedalPCB board, especially one that, from what I can tell is an original design. If I am committing a faux pas by doing this, please feel free to let me know and I will delete. In any event, as detailed below, I’m probably gonna end up buying the actual PedalPCB board and doing a build of that anyhow.

This is built on Vero based on the Pendulum schematic (I did not do the layout myself, I found it on a site that I believe is run by a member here). I didn’t even know what a harmonic tremolo was until a few months ago and I decided to build one to fill out my board while also continuing to improve on my Vero skills.

I find that I really like the sound of a harmonic tremolo and now the bug has bit me where I would like to try more. The only posts I’ve seen on this site relate to the actual PedalPCB board so I’ll relate some of my experiences based on this build compared to what I have seen others post about the “real board“.
  • The sound definitely has a phaser-y quality to it. I dig that.
  • There was discussion here about whether moving the internal LEDs closer to the LDRs enhanced the effect and people seemed to be of the consensus that this circuit, unlike others, really didn’t care much how close the LED is to the LDR. At least on my build, the circuit really does care about the distance. Too close and you start to get some distortion (at least on the lower frequency LED); too far and the tremolo effect gets attenuated. I spent a lot of time trying to manipulate the spacing of the LED/LDR combo to get a good balance between the high and low frequencies.
  • For whatever reason, one of my LEDs (the one controlling the low frequency) introduces a slight click/hiss as it activates and deactivates. (At first I thought it was the rate LED causing this but it is not). It’s not so noticeable until you kick on a compressor or overdrive, and none of the solutions I have read about to try to stop the noise seem to work, so I will just live with it.
  • Those last two are actually the two points that make me want to buy the “real board“. While I feel confident that this design is faithful to the schematic for the PedalPCB board, I think Robert also takes a lot of care in layout of the board to minimize issues such as the ones I have experienced (less cramped layout, putting the LDRs on opposite sides of the board, and so on). I expect I would get a better sounding end product using the real board than the version I built.
Enclosure was again done with film-free decals. I really like these and think that, if you apply them properly and then put on a light clear coat for durability, they really look and feel comparable to a Tayda UV print job.

As I said, now I am really grooving on the harmonic tremolos. If anyone has any recommendations for other good DIY harmonic trems, please let me know (I really wanted the 1776 Cardinal but it appears that their store has been “temporarily closed” for so long that it should probably be viewed as a permanent closure.)

Again, if I’m crossing the ethical/etiquette lines by posting a Vero build PedalPCB board, please let me know and accept my apologies.

Mike

IMG_9351.jpeg IMG_9349.jpeg IMG_9352.jpeg

Nice work! I am going down the vero road as well. I just started my first a few weeks ago and I have been going non stop. I love the cheap access to so many circuits. I bought some of the film free decals to try out a while ago only to discover that the paper was only for laser printers and not inkjet. Your decals look great! I agree that they are comprable to tayda UV printing.

wowwww looks great!! I tried an Acapulco gold Vero build to no avail and have been too busy with PCB builds to troubleshoot. well done!

Really nice work, your labels are always stellar.
I find vero circuits can be a fun alternative to using PCB's.
With regard to your LED noise, you might try some of the suggestions in this link: (e.g., a capacitor shunt to ground - although I didn't look at your circuit).

fuck yeah!
crikey if doing building vero was ever crossing a line, I'd be perma-banned by now.
a majority of my initial pedal builds were all vero. there's a certain charm and satisfaction of putting together a board from a 'blank' and making it all work.
excellent build 🤘

Back