Phase II : Low Pass, Vibrato and 2 stages mods

eh là bas ma

I built a few phasers, the Phase II is probably my favorite, i really like how the sweep sounds.

However, i built an other one sometimes ago, a Small Stone clone with all the popular mods, called the Redshift from Aion.

The mods are allowing some interesting sounds, and i often regret that they aren't available on the Phase II.

The most interesting mods are All Pass/Low Pass, Vibrato and 2 stages mods.

I wonder if it could be possible to implement them on the Phase II circuit ?

LDR1 to LDR6, are these the stages ? Do we have 6 stages on this phaser? Would it be possible to add a 2/4/6 stages selector with a 3PDT toggleswitch ?
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 02-43-10 PedalPCB Build Guide - PhaseII.pdf.png
Surely the Vibrato mod shouldn't be too hard, we just need to cut the original signal and keep only the modulated one, but even such a simple modification is a bit beyond my knowledge in electronics.
Is it as simple as lifting a connection with an SPDT toggle somewhere between C15 and IC5 pin5 ?

When Phase II Feedback is fully CW, is it similar to a vibrato mod ?

About the Low Pass mod, on the Redshift it looks like the switch is connected to some extra caps (C7, C8, C9), or to VB. I guess VB is some special voltage, created in the power section ?
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 03-33-01 Redshift Phaser - Aion FX - redshift_documentation.pdf.png

How would you do it ? Is it even possible to do these three mods on PPCB Phase II ?

Every suggestions and observations are welcome !

Last edited:
For the Vibrato mod, lift the leg of R30 that connects to R31. Connect it to the outer leg of an spdt, connect the middle lug to the now vacant hole where R30 had been.

The vibrato mod works best when there is minimal feedback. I prefer 10 o'clock and below for vibe sounds. I also really like to stagger the capacitors in the all-pass stages for this mod

To eliminate stages, you'll need to lift the leg of C12 that connects to the all-pass stages (the leg that meets with pin 7 of IC 2). You'll want to attach the leg to the middle pole of an SPDT. Attach one of the throws to the hole made by lifting the leg, and the other throw to the output of whichever stage you want, stages numbered as follows. Of course, you could also use a rotary switch to select from 1-6 stages.

Take a look at MadBean's Glass Hole to see another implementation of this
1000022425.png

Back