Practice Amp

fig

Village Idiot
This is not recent, but I've mentioned it a few times...

It's a "Tube Screaming Preamp (B. Robertson)" into a "100 watt" one-channel power amp. From my understanding, these are used a lot to power car subwoofers and such. Being that it is a only power amp there are no external controls, it is simply a gain stage for the signal [there is an onboard gain trimmer on this one. Others I've played with don't have them]. That's where the TSPA comes in. The signal goes into the clipping stage first, and is boosted at the same time, controlled by a gain pot. The signal feeds through a presence pot and straight into the TMB finishing with a volume pot.At least, that's the circuit through my eyes. Then through the power amp. The output is an isolated banana plug.-type jack.

It is a great little practice amp. That particular power amp runs very quiet at 9v despite the obvious lack of wire routing (someday). I was using the same one that is listed as "arriving soon" at this site, and it would handle 20vdc. I powered it with a Dewalt 20v Max battery. I had to use a voltage regular to step the power down to the preamp (9v only). It ran noisy at 9v and was EXTREMELY sensitive. I fried a half-dozen or so before switching to this one.

It was fun to build, and is a hoot to play through. It easily drives an 8ohm 12" Jensen 35w

IMG_4698.jpeg IMG_4697.jpeg

I've used it with an 1x8 tweed combo which later became the home of the little tube amp I built. Right now, I use it with a hand-made 1x12 extra deep, finger-jointed cab with that Jensen. I've yet to tongue oil it, though I did put the grill-cloth on. Eventually it will be used with the Marshall 74x TMB build, that's been packed away until we move. It has a matching head cab and cloth. I am excited to get it built!

Back to the question....I may build a 1x8 combo cab for it. I built a few 78L09 daughterboards so I can easily pop in in that enclosure and power it with the drill battery (just because it's awesome and portable!)

I will add this to the cab, it's a slip-in battery adapter to power devices. I rewired a 9vdc jack in place of the one shown, and use a PSU pigtail to the amp. It also has a handy USB charging outlet so you can charge your phone while jamming (though of course this adds to battery drain).

4ZcIwGO.jpg

I've used it with an 1x8 tweed combo which later became the home of the little tube amp I built. Right now, I use it with a hand-made 1x12 extra deep, finger-jointed cab with that Jensen. I've yet to tongue oil it, though I did put the grill-cloth on. Eventually it will be used with the Marshall 74x TMB build, that's been packed away until we move. It has a matching head cab and cloth. I am excited to get it built!

Back to the question....I may build a 1x8 combo cab for it. I built a few 78L09 daughterboards so I can easily pop in in that enclosure and power it with the drill battery (just because it's awesome and portable!)

I will add this to the cab, it's a slip-in battery adapter to power devices. I rewired a 9vdc jack in place of the one shown, and use a PSU pigtail to the amp. It also has a handy USB charging outlet so you can charge your phone while jamming (though of course this adds to battery drain).

4ZcIwGO.jpg

Did you follow any design when making the cabinet? I've got a little something in the works right now and I'm planning on making a little 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your completed combo, that sounds really cool.

Did you follow any design when making the cabinet? I've got a little something in the works right now and I'm planning on making a little 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your completed combo, that sounds really cool.

The tweed 1x8 is a mojotone basement bargain clearance. For the 1x12, yeah the design was, I called another Tim in NH and said "Tim, this is Tim. I need a cab...blah yadda...thanks!" He does swell work and my router and jigs are also packed up. Now the next 1x8 I will do myself, but it will have to be custom to fit the amp enclosure. I'll take some pics of the cab I had the other fig...er Tim make.

Just got text while typing, the Mesa Booger is on it's way back. They traced it to a tube so they put a whole new regiment in. It's a great amp, but I have a need for tweed.

That looks pretty awesome! I have an enclosure on the way for a cool vintagey solid state amp project I’m planning, and that power amp might be a cool alternative to the Sapphire amp I was planning on making as long as I can come up with a really vibey, lofi-ish preamp

Reactions: fig
That looks pretty awesome! I have an enclosure on the way for a cool vintagey solid state amp project I’m planning, and that power amp might be a cool alternative to the Sapphire amp I was planning on making as long as I can come up with a really vibey, lofi-ish preamp
There are a lot of nice ones...you could pick a separate boost, dirt, and active EQ board if you can't settle on a complete preamp package.

There are a lot of nice ones...you could pick a separate boost, dirt, and active EQ board if you can't settle on a complete preamp package.
Yeah, definitely something I’ve been considering. I just need to figure out what kind of sound I’m even going for— needs to fit the aesthetic of the cool enclosure I got, since that’s the only reason I’m going to make one like that. Might even go for a Vox UL730 normal-channel preamp with a built in 1-knob mk1.5 Tonebender (I have an idea on how to keep it just above unity at all degrees of the Fuzz knob’s rotation) if I’m able to fit that many controls on the front panel

• Love
Now I'm REALLY wanting to see the enclosure!
Unfortunately you may not get to— after having no tracking updates in over two weeks, it was just confirmed to have been lost in the mail. This is one of three different packages that USPS has lost in transit in the past week and a half for me. The other two being a rangemaster enclosure and a vintage Frank Zappa cover issue of Guitar Player Magazine. Gotta love the postal service 🙄

• Sad
THAT SUCKS!

Wherever your mail is being routed through collectively, there is an unscrupulous guitar-playing pedal-builder postal-worker who's into Zappa. I wonder if he/she even realises the stuff he/she pilfered was going to the same address...

Send a Zappa-pedal to yourself, with a GPS-tracking device hidden inside it, nail the sucker.

Unfortunately you may not get to— after having no tracking updates in over two weeks, it was just confirmed to have been lost in the mail. This is one of three different packages that USPS has lost in transit in the past week and a half for me. The other two being a rangemaster enclosure and a vintage Frank Zappa cover issue of Guitar Player Magazine. Gotta love the postal service 🙄

Woof. That sucks.

I've always had great luck with the USPS...occasionally something will get hung up...sometimes for like a couple of months... especially during the holidays. It's rare occasion that one's been lost.

I actively avoid FedEx...yeesh. Seems like they treat ground service as an afterthought (not far from the truth...considering their business model) AND...just a personal gripe...Their drivers leave packages in front of my garage...which is in a common parking area that divides three 4-unit condo buildings on the opposite side of my building from my front door. I'll usually grab packages for all 11 of my immediate neighbors and bring em around to their front doors when I see the truck swing by.

Just like...prime territory for porch pirates. UPS, though? Solid.

Now let me further hijack this thread with my dissertation on DHL vs OnTrac...*blinks*

I need to build one of these. Gotta get something on my bench for troubleshooting with an audio probe...

• Haha
Woof. That sucks.

I've always had great luck with the USPS...occasionally something will get hung up...sometimes for like a couple of months... especially during the holidays. It's rare occasion that one's been lost.

I actively avoid FedEx...yeesh. Seems like they treat ground service as an afterthought (not far from the truth...considering their business model) AND...just a personal gripe...Their drivers leave packages in front of my garage...which is in a common parking area that divides three 4-unit condo buildings on the opposite side of my building from my front door. I'll usually grab packages for all 11 of my immediate neighbors and bring em around to their front doors when I see the truck swing by.

Just like...prime territory for porch pirates. UPS, though? Solid.

Now let me further hijack this thread with my dissertation on DHL vs OnTrac...*blinks*

I need to build one of these. Gotta get something on my bench for troubleshooting with an audio probe...
Ah yeah, fedex is the worst, but I’ve been having pretty bad luck with the USPS too— this is the first time I’ve actually had them lose multiple packages in a short timeframe, but I’ve had plenty of records broken by them due to mind boggling delivery choices (my personal favorite is when my mailman put a record mailer, which had a few LPs inside so it was a bit heavy, on top of a pile of other packages that were delivered, leaning against the garage door. Obviously, the only way to know the packages were delivered there was to go outside, and the way to do that is… through the garage door. So of course, when I opened the garage door, I was greeted by a record mailer jumping to its death from four feet above— there were no survivors. 😂

• Angry
Back