Practice/Headphone Amp Project

Yes, separate level for Left/Right to also allow "panning" the aux input to either side.

Not exactly panning since it won't shift the Right signal to the Left side (or vice versa), but you'll be able to control the level of each side independently. This could also be helpful in cases where you want to hear one side of the aux stereo signal isolated from the other.

Sorry to bug you with stupid questions but why put the loop between the input and cabSim is it buffered or has a bypass?

It could be buffered, or it might be removed (or replaced with a basic reverb after the cab sim)...

Initially I was imagining a simple way to switch a loop of effects in and out with one press, but at this point it's still in the air.

For those who are already working on something similar to this, how do you plan to use it? On a pedalboard?

Personally I'd be more likely to sit it on a desk in front of me, as a console-type unit, with toggle switches rather than footswitches.

The most important things for me are:

1. Aux input
2. Ability to pan auxiliary
3. Ability to run auxiliary input through to the amp as well as headphone

I looked at all the extended functionality of the DSM noisemaker and tried to include everything but the DI

It could be buffered, or it might be removed (or replaced with a basic reverb after the cab sim)...

Initially I was imagining a simple way to switch a loop of effects in and out with one press, but at this point it's still in the air.

For those who are already working on something similar to this, how do you plan to use it? On a pedalboard?

Personally I'd be more likely to sit it on a desk in front of me, as a console-type unit, with toggle switches rather than footswitches.
I've been wanting a little practice unit like this for a while now and for me it'd be like you say: on a desk or on the couch next to me and toggles would be ideal.

That’s pretty much how I plan to use it most of the time is to be able to just play through my pedal board with the option to plug the amp in as well.

Now that I’m thinking about it, this will likely stay on the board which is why I’m trying to stay as small as possible.

I also am using toggles over foot switches

A bigger enclosure would be great for a much more capable unit than what I’m building (FX loops, DI output, additional instrument inputs).

Actually I’m adding one additional instrument input to the mixer circuit. Not sure if I’ll ever really use it but why not?!

I can only speak for myself but I would put the fxloop after the cabSim because I like my dirt to interact directly with the cabSim/ IR then modulation/delay/Reverb to be last in the chain... but like I said that’s just my personal preference. I haven’t played in years standing up(not even sure why I own a strap anymore) so the idea of a desk top unit with toggles I really like.

This is a great idea assuming it's not much bigger than a 1590BB or similar size. The cab sims, I'm assuming, would be FV-1 or would they be analog, which narrows the number of cab sims that would be able to be put in.

This is a great idea assuming it's not much bigger than a 1590BB or similar size. The cab sims, I'm assuming, would be FV-1 or would they be analog, which narrows the number of cab sims that would be able to be put in.
PPCB unicab for the analog cabsim. Fv1 idea is intriguing

Back