Practice room setup

giovanni

Hey guys, I want to get a few things for my music room to make it a bit more useful for rehearsals. I need some sort of PA to plug in a couple microphones, keyboard and maybe bass (besides using guitar amps), but I don’t want to get a large portable PA system as it feels maybe overkill. At the same time I also need to get monitors for recording. Do you guys think I can get away with using the monitors for live practice (without drums to be clear)? Or should I get something dedicated with more power?

Hey guys, I want to get a few things for my music room to make it a bit more useful for rehearsals. I need some sort of PA to plug in a couple microphones, keyboard and maybe bass (besides using guitar amps), but I don’t want to get a large portable PA system as it feels maybe overkill. At the same time I also need to get monitors for recording. Do you guys think I can get away with using the monitors for live practice (without drums to be clear)? Or should I get something dedicated with more power?
Have you looked at the Bose L1 system? It works wonderfully well. If I were starting over I would consider it.
I'm not a fan a using my studio monitors for any kind of jamming monitoring as I've seen too many turn into the "turn it up a little" contest. I like to use my monitors for listening. Playing needs more "raw dog" imo. I really love having a dedicated amp/speaker for each instrument. Vocals and learning mic control come with hours on the mic and PA.
That being said, you could also do it correctly, right from the start and go with in ear monitors as that scales up to the biggest of big shows and all in-between.

I’m usually the n the school of thought equipment doesn’t matter too much in a casual setting if it gets the job done… but In this scenario I believe speakers and response matters, I’ll take my Beyerdynamic DT 900 pro X headphones over my M-audio monitors or a cheaper PA every time. But I also don’t play with anyone and it’s more of a “studio” type setting than a practice space sort of thing that gets loud. Ask yourself this… “can I make what I have work?” Give it a try, if that’s not working, by trying that less than ideal set up you will have a better idea of which way you want to move forward with a gear purchase… just my 2 cents.

I think I’m gonna need a cheap PA system to start then. I agree that cranking the monitors is probably not a good idea. Any recommendations for that will be appreciated. I’ll look into the Bose system as well.

Back