Putting a computer together for gaming and recording?

drgonzo1969

So I want to maybe build a computer in the coming year. I have two goals for the computer. Play elder scrolls games and use amplitube without lag. I imagine most graphics cards will be able to handle oblivion and Skyrim so I am not too worried there. However, I would like a computer that can handle amplitube without lag. With my current cheapo laptop I get about a second of lag when playing. I imagine this has something to do with RAM and sound card but I honestly have no idea. I have played around with the settings in amplitube to cut down on lag a little but it’s still pretty bad. Do you guys have any guidance as far as sound cards? What should I look for to accomplish these goals?

I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, nothing too flashy but it works good.

You could actually use that with your laptop and most likely get good performance.
I have the axe I/o interface from IK. Will a different audio interface help with the lag?

That should work good.

I'm not familiar with how that one is configured, do you have options for different drivers like WaveOut / DirectSound / ASIO?

If so, ASIO would give the best performance.

Adding to that, are you using it as your interface? (Plugged in via USB?)

Or connecting the line out into the soundcard input of your laptop?

As far as computers go, I've been very happy with Lenovo thinkpad workstations, if you want to keep the laptop form factor at all.
Getting a newer one with a dedicated GPU will likely handle elder scrolls well enough.
The workstations, not laptops, will typically handle 64-126gb ram or more. Different models have different levels of user serviceability, but most allow ram and HD upgrades by pulling the battery and several screws. Some you have to pull the keypad off. That's part of the thinkpad DNA. The most user servicable/repairable laptops on the market, albeit bulky as a result.
My old P50S I use for work has 1 SSD and 2x M.2 driver with 64gigs of ram.
So I can actually have 6 chrome tabs open at once!(kidding, I don't use chrome. Firefox til EOL)

I’m a silly Mac guy, works great for recording.
Have to play both sides here. That p50 was the first pc I had in ~15 years. Getting back on windows was a challenge. The old Mac mini is on its last limp. Waiting to see if the update the Studio or not to get me the next decade.
But I am disappointed in the lack of upgradability in macs now.
At least in the ole i9 mini I can swap the dying HD...

There's a great resource in PCPartPicker to build and price.

Logical Increments is another good reference to help based on budget.

As far as graphics, if all you need is something to get Elder Scrolls running, even at 1440p a low or midrange card of the current gen would be more than enough. If you're gunning for Starfield you'd need something mid to high. Baldur's Gate 3 performs well on lower mid range well.

If you live near a Micro Center, they have a bundle deal on the AMD Ryzen 5600X3D, which in itself is an excellent platform to build on. While it is last gen, it's still got great performance, and DDR4 RAM is much more affordable than DDR5 right now.

Building computers is my brother's idea of a good time. He loves nothing more than building some mega-terrabyte monstrosity but then he is that kind of person. He is so logical that people have never made any sense to him.

Unfortunately he can't play music at all. He tried and failed dismally. So he has no interest in music software which is a shame because I sometimes get his "old" computers (ie brand new, still in the box because he just likes buying computers). In fact the Macbook Air I'm on now is from my brother.

When I was recording I used a Mac with an Apogee Duet, A Seventh Circle Neve-style pre, an SM58 and a Royer 121 and used Garageband. For the sorts of demos I did it was kind of overkill but lag was never an issue. I tried Logic but it did my head in. I don't have my brother's gift for computing.

Have you adjusted your buffer settings?
1 sec lag isn't necessarily the computers fault. You'll get a handful of M's from the ADDA but not that much. I'm guessing your buffer is set to 1096 for that much lag
To reiterate about lag when playing or recording - this is the important part.

Your computer specs don't really directly affect the lag (or more accurately, latency) you might get. They do affect it indirectly though.

But assuming you're using the ASIO drivers for the interface and there are no weird hardware issues going on, the buffer size (along with sample rate) will determine how much latency you get when playing.

Basically the buffer is how many samples are buffered, so at 1024 sample buffer size, the drivers wait until 1024 samples have been gathered in the buffer before it processes them all at once and they are played out. So at 48kHz you have to wait until 1024 samples at 48 000 samples per second have been buffered, so roughly 1/48th of a second so around 20 milliseconds. The analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversions (ADDA mentioned above) add up a bunch, but it shouldn't be huge, maybe around 30 milliseconds total. I suspect that Amplitube is not using the correct ASIO drivers (it's not enough if they are installed, you need to configure your DAW or the standalone Amplitube software to use them) or there's something else wrong if you literally get a second of latency.

The reason we use buffers like this is that reading reading the sample, doing the processing and then outputting it takes some processing power, so compared to repeating that step for every sample separately it starts to take up massive amounts of processing time compared to doing it just once for a batch of 1024 samples (or more preferably something like 64 samples - a buffer size of 64 is pretty good in my experience). That's also where the computer specs do come into play, because a faster CPU (and maybe faster RAM to some small extent) will be able to handle smaller buffer sizes without dropping samples (sounds like nasty digital noise usually). So a slower CPU can't handle as many plugins or smaller buffer sizes compared to a faster one.

As a caveat I will mention that audio processing is pretty complicated in that there are a lot of small things that could go wrong, and if your laptop is old enough that it can't even run the operating system very well, it's possible that that could cause more lag I haven't encountered before. Similarly I don't think RAM speed makes a huge impact if you're just running Amplitube, but RAM size could in the case where the computer can't keep both the OS and Amplitube in the RAM at once and has to use the swap file, which might complicate things.

MOTU M2/M4 have really low latency with PCs for not too much money on the used market, and are bus powered, which can be good and bad, but if latency is the main concern they're great. I don't love the mic pres on my M4, they're kind of dark and murky to make it sound less "digital" but the line ins are clean, so you can add a more transparent external mic pre later on and still have good latency, all probably without needing a computer upgrade.

I've built around 40-50 pc's in the last 7 years... I started out doing it for fun by building myself a ridiculous overpowered gaming pc and it has morphed several times over the years.. I then built my 3 teens overpowered gaming rigs and several friends and families rigs. After work found out I became the internal equipment guy and ended up building every engineering rig down our engineering hall... I've built some insane monsters to handle the most demanding 3d CAD operations... Main engineering PC we use for rendering I spent over 7K building that beast..lol They use that one as a host other users log into remotely from their desktop so we can render and use it's processing power from any desktop in CAD.

Back