SOLVED Problem IC Sunflower Fuzz

coccoslash

Hello to all,
I've a problem with the Sunflower Fuzz. The pedal worked great with a MAX1044 IC.
After a month the IC stopped working so I changed with a TC1044S. The pedal now works but there's a continuous whistle.
I tried all the 5 IC of the box with the same problem.

What can I do?
Thanks

Yes you can, as long as they have the S designation they should be fine. Do yourself a favour and buy your chips from a legit seller like Mouser or Digi-Key, not all stuff from China is bad but we’ve all been burned with fakes before. I bought 25 7660s and only 5 of them were legit, for example.

Use your digital multimeter to make sure you have a connection between pin 1 and pin 8 on your charge pump IC. If that is connected and you are hearing a whine you likely have bad chips and can fix your problem by replacing them with something from another source.

Assuming you get that whine fixed, see if the replacement IC manages to last more than a few weeks. If it doesn't (or if you discover the chip gets hot when you are using the pedal) you may need to do a bit more troubleshooting to find and fix the cause.

Use your digital multimeter to make sure you have a connection between pin 1 and pin 8 on your charge pump IC. If that is connected and you are hearing a whine you likely have bad chips and can fix your problem by replacing them with something from another source.
Yes, 1 and 8 are connected.
Ok I try with the 7660 and see what happens, thanks!

Back