Random pix

Early shot of my tomato plants (last season). Better Boys and San Marzano-style plum. I used micro drippers, with each plant having it's own head. I had the timer set for 45 min. morning/evening. All organic.
S5OV8Rm.jpg

Temol I'm not 100% certain because I usually used Kodak EPP or whatever the one Kodak released after EPP was. But it may have been Velvia - I used Velvia on special occasions. God it's so long since I used film I've forgotten what i used! I know that I was a huge Ilford fan for B+W - Delta 100 and HP5+ were my go-tos. Printed on Ilford multigrade. Delta 100 made life a lot easier because there was a lot less burning and dodging required. I remember when I went to NY specifically using Tri-X because it wasn't available in Australia. I liked the grain on Tri-X.

Back then half of my work was on B+W. It was either B+W or colour tranny - almost never shot colour neg. Funny thing is that I don't miss film at all. I love the ability to get the shot closer to finished with digital. And I really don't miss the evenings in the darkroom.

ERchard copy.jpg

This is my bread & butter kind of shot. There's a fair bit of photoshop involved because that's how wine marketing people think bottles should look! You'd be surprised how many imperfections there are in a typical wine bottle. And getting the foiling to read can be tricky.

Looks yummy! Love French Toast. Never tried sourdough and I love that too!

French toast is done a bit different here in HK. The local eateries take two slices sandwiched with some peanut butter, toss the sammy in the deep-fryer then serve with some margarine and a thick golden syrup of which one taste of will A) cause all your teeth to fall out immediately and B) Instantly turn you into another slave-to-the-syrup addict. I don't even know if it's corn syrup (likely) or just a byproduct from making sugar, but it keeps the tooth fairy in business.

As for CDB's desert scenes with giant Flowers? Perfectly plausible, I don't see anything wrong with Them!

Them_Photo_t800.jpg
Is it similar to the Dutch schenkstroop? My wife and I brought a couple of bottles of that home from Amsterdam with us because it was so addicting!

View attachment 12306

This is my bread & butter kind of shot. There's a fair bit of photoshop involved because that's how wine marketing people think bottles should look! You'd be surprised how many imperfections there are in a typical wine bottle. And getting the foiling to read can be tricky.
I see your wine but I raise my delicious beer to that. From local darlings Brasserie du Bas Canada, the second best thing in Hull/Gatineau after Fairfield.
This one's is called "Équinoxe Céleste", a collaboration with Caledon, Ontario Badlands Brewing featuring Nelson Sauvin, Citra and Strata Hops. Cool art by Ottawa artist Alexandra Nash.
IMG_7769.jpg

And to comment on the French toast thing (which around here is called "pain doré"), I'm lucky enough to have perhaps the best bakery in town at 5 minutes of walking distance (which is one of a handful of place I can shop at without driving unfortunately) + a stash of these. Why would you eat it with any other thing??? ;)
IMG_7770.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Sylvester - I like Canadian beer! I've only been to Toronto and that was a longtime ago, but I loved it and had a great time - even in February.

I'm not really a huge fan of Sandalwood wines, it's more that they are a client of mine I shoot bottles for. There are some fantastic wines in Australia, even some from Western Australia. Sandalford are ok but there are better wines. My favourites tend to be from Coonawarra or the Barossa Valley in South Australia. And red. Some of the reds from South Australia are truly world-class and have huge flavour.

But I'm more of a beer drinker. I just don't photograph it as much as wine. :)

Hey Sylvester - I like Canadian beer! I've only been to Toronto and that was a longtime ago, but I loved it and had a great time - even in February.

I'm not really a huge fan of Sandalwood wines, it's more that they are a client of mine I shoot bottles for. There are some fantastic wines in Australia, even some from Western Australia. Sandalford are ok but there are better wines. My favourites tend to be from Coonawarra or the Barossa Valley in South Australia. And red. Some of the reds from South Australia are truly world-class and have huge flavour.

But I'm more of a beer drinker. I just don't photograph it as much as wine. :)
Will def look out for those, I have to go on a wine run as our small cellar is empty.

Is it similar to the Dutch schenkstroop? My wife and I brought a couple of bottles of that home from Amsterdam with us because it was so addicting!
Nee, maar ik vind stroop heel lekker! Zooooo verslavend!

3209174334_2f83cd11a5.jpg
Pic from
Mochachocolatarita blog

I used to freelance for a publisher who's office was next door to the very cha chaan teng in the blog linked above. We often held meetings right in the little café.

If it's pannekoek met spec, it's gotta be stroop, naturlijk.
If it's a HK sai-doh, it's gotta be that golden liquid crack pouring out the green-topped dispenser (used in just about every cha chaan teng here).
If it's pancakes, waffles or french-toast at home — nothing but pure Canadian maple-syrup will do...

Back