Rangemaster - Rat Combo

ThinAir

Ok, I’m sitting on a handful of populated PCBs. What do you guys think about a Rangemaster - Rat combo build? Am I taking crazy pills?

Ok, I’m sitting on a handful of populated PCBs. What do you guys think about a Rangemaster - Rat combo build? Am I taking crazy pills?
I've done a Screaming Bird/ Rat combo before, and it was screech city. Excellent for feedback, and added an interesting clang, though

I've built a few ODs (Rockett style) with a silicon version of the Red Rooster, which is in turn based on the Rangemaster. I love 'em!

All I did to turn a Red Rooster into a Si booster was add a treble roll-off cap at the end of the circuit and a 2N2222A transistor. Basically something like a 15nF cap to ground on the output. With a Strat it can add a lot of girth if you turn the range up and with range below noon you get that classic Rangemaster honk with a Gibson. Tiny circuit, two knobs, can't go wrong! My favourite booster.

You won't know til you try. I would try it before I drill the enclosure for it, that way if you don't like it you didn't waste an enclosure.

I built this on vero but you could easily use the Mammal board. I didn't bother with an order switch because I know I like the Chickenhead/Red Rooster before the overdrive.

FWIW I reeeeeally like the Chickenhead/RR booster before the Saturation side of the Strymon Deco. It helps remove some of the low end if needed and add some punchy mids. The Red Rooster is a great, simple boost and this pedal helps me channel my inner Beano-era bues.

Attachments

• 45redext.jpg
    45redext.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 45redint.jpg
    45redint.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
For the boost section you could use the Chickhead board. If you want to use a 2N2222A you can and it will work well as a mostly clean booster - but I recommend using a cap at the output. Something like an 18nF cap across the output to ground will just roll off a little high end to make it sound more Ge. You can use higher gain Si trannies but it just becomes a buzzy OD then - it's cool but I prefer the cleaner boost myself. Or just go with Ge. I like the Si because it works, I don't have to waste a good Ge tranny and it's quiet.

You don't get a huge boost but it's more than enough and being able to adjust the lows means you can make it sound like a classic treble booster or use it as a more full-range boost. It means that you can make the OD sound fatter if you use a Strat (and it does that really well) or make a Les Paul sound like Beano-era Clapton. Kind of.

You can do the order switcher with a 3PDT or still use a 4PDT and add LED indicators.

Attachments

• Reverse Circuit.JPG
    Reverse Circuit.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 21
Back