Raymond Overdrive (Vemuram Jan Ray)

Brett

Raymond Overdrive

What is it...

Based on the Vemuram Jan Ray Overdrive Paul Cochrane's Timmy Overdrive.

Modifications...
No changes.

Sounds
It sounds pretty good. It's not my favorite drive pedal by any stretch, but I understand its appeal. There are other Timmy variants that I think add a little more than this one does, but it does sound good.

Enclosure
Candy Copper 125B from Tayda. Tayda handled the UV printing as well (double white, gloss varnish). The first and second images do the best job of portraying the color of the enclosure. The face shot came out a bit more red than it actually looks in person.

Attachments

• IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    975.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 79
I know I say this every time I see one of your builds, but this one looks so good inside and out. Lots of nice touches, like the metal lettering on the PCBs and using heat shrink to keep the footswitch leads tidy.

You also did a really nice job matching the print corner radii curves to the enclosure corners. Do you recall the dimensions and radii that you used?

This is a DIY site, commercial pro-builders shouldn't be allowed to post here.

Wait... what? It is DIY? Yer pulling my ...

DAMN!

I gotta up my build-game big time!

Inside outside top to bottom, colour-choice to PCB fab — what a stellar build, Brett.

Do you recall the dimensions and radii that you used?
I was able to verify this morning for you. The outside to outside dimensions of the outline are 60mm x 115mm, 3pt. stroke weight (converted to curves before export). The radii of the corners is 5% which equates to roughly 3mm.

Looks great!

I had some of those Candy Copper in my cart when they came out, but I didn't pull the trigger quick enough.

I had some of those Candy Copper in my cart when they came out, but I didn't pull the trigger quick enough.
I don’t know if I’d go this route again, personally. The finish is great but this one is highly dependent on prep because it’s translucent. Any imperfections in the enclosure can be seen through the finish.

I got lucky and it turned out nice on mine, but I’d hate to be the guy/gal that got an ugly enclosure to start with.

Back