Sandspur...

Coda

Hey. A few weeks ago, I build the Sandspur (Silicone Sunface). The first pedal I ever build was a Twin Face. Now, I've never been a 'Fuzz Face Guy," but the Ge side of the Twin Face was a great experience. The Si side...meh. Well, it sizzled...like bacon on Sunday morning. As temperamental as the Ge side is (weather-wise), it always sounded better than the Si side. A month or so ago, however, I got bit by the bug...the bug every pedal builder/guitarist gets bit by...the Time solo bug. I was off...chasing yet another tone. This time, a tone that I was very familiar with.

I built the Sandspur with sockets, because I wasn't sure what I was gonna put in it. I first tried BC108's. They were ok, but a little tame. Next, I tried an assortment of BC109C's. They all had the 'hair' I was after, but they all sizzled. I then spend the last week and a half trying all sorts of different sets and combos. Finally, I returned to BC109C (Q1: 534 hfe, Q2: 586 hfe). It sounded great, but it sizzled on the decay. In the end, a 100p cap between base and emitter of Q2 delivered me my dream Fuzz Face...for now.

I have attached a pic of the enclosure (if you want gut shots, I will oblige, but it basically looks like every other pedal). I have also link a clip of it in action. I think it sounds pretay pretay good...

1DD8D7B7-BBBE-4399-B15A-0B41256C92A2.jpeg

Great work!

I had the same motivation for my Silicon Fuzz Face.

I first tried a low gain Amperex A115 (120 hFE) and a medium BC109B (285 hFE). Sounded great but did not have that the “hair” we know and love. I then switched to an all Amperex set with an A115 (286 hFE) and A104 (406 hFE).

That did the trick. I had to use a fairly big cap across the feedback resistor and base to collector caps on both to squelch most of the oscillation, RF and hiss but then I tweaked down the input and emitter caps and Viola! Super quiet and 100% awesome.

It had a little ooscillation left over and a too much sizzle but turning down the oregano a hair eliminated that and makes it perfect.

I was also driven by the Time solo. Mind if I post a video playing it here?

Great work!

I had the same motivation for my Silicon Fuzz Face.

I first tried a low gain Amperex A115 (120 hFE) and a medium BC109B (285 hFE). Sounded great but did not have that the “hair” we know and love. I then switched to an all Amperex set with an A115 (286 hFE) and A104 (406 hFE).

That did the trick. I had to use a fairly big cap across the feedback resistor and base to collector caps on both to squelch most of the oscillation, RF and hiss but then I tweaked down the input and emitter caps and Viola! Super quiet and 100% awesome.

It had a little ooscillation left over and a too much sizzle but turning down the oregano a hair eliminated that and makes it perfect.

I was also driven by the Time solo. Mind if I post a video playing it here?
Go ahead. Everyone can post their time solos. This thread is now the Time solo thread.

Just sizzle. I thought I could find the perfect pair of transistors and all would be fine. But the 109's sounded the best, so I had to cap them. Other than that I had no issues at all. Its a pretty great FF.

With Fuzz maxed, I had wicked oscillation. Everything turned out alright though. My MO is usually to find a combo of base to collector caps, feedback bypass cap and the Pre-gain Knob, along with shielded wire to and from the switch, to kill oscillation and hiss. That kills some of the high end though.

I think I ended up with 1 uf for the input cap and 10 uf for the emitter cap. When it was all said and done, I had a hint of very low oscillation and RF left and one small turn of the Pre-gain killed it, almost like a switch, with my adverse effects to overall tone.

I like the knobs you used! I used similar ones on mine. For some reason they screamed Silicon Fuzz Face:

89AEE789-49EA-4AF1-AB6E-9B29E407C024.jpeg
90BA2F18-9E6B-4B7E-BE5E-F305592A6E85.jpeg

My inspiration was of course Time. Here is the only full take I could get the other. There are a couple of clams so the usual disclaimers apply, i.e. I am not responsible for the damage to anyone’s ears...

With Fuzz maxed, I had wicked oscillation. Everything turned out alright though. My MO is usually to find a combo of base to collector caps, feedback bypass cap and the Pre-gain Knob, along with shielded wire to and from the switch, to kill oscillation and hiss. That kills some of the high end though.

I think I ended up with 1 uf for the input cap and 10 uf for the emitter cap. When it was all said and done, I had a hint of very low oscillation and RF left and one small turn of the Pre-gain killed it, almost like a switch, with my adverse effects to overall tone.

I like the knobs you used! I used similar ones on mine. For some reason they screamed Silicon Fuzz Face:

View attachment 16759
View attachment 16760

My inspiration was of course Time. Here is the only full take I could get the other. There are a couple of clams so the usual disclaimers apply, i.e. I am not responsible for the damage to anyone’s ears...

I wonder how many fuzz face builds have been inspired by the Time solo? Also, this week is the 50th anniversary of the Live at Pompei performances. The Echoes solo is incredible, and far more influential for me. The pompei tone sound to me like it has a bit more gain than the DSOTM tone. That could be due to 200w of Hiwatt, though…

I wonder how many fuzz face builds have been inspired by the Time solo? Also, this week is the 50th anniversary of the Live at Pompei performances. The Echoes solo is incredible, and far more influential for me. The pompei tone sound to me like it has a bit more gain than the DSOTM tone. That could be due to 200w of Hiwatt, though…

What’s interesting is that I drop my guitar volume down to about 8 for Time and go up to about 9 or 10 for Echoes. I love my Silicon Fuzz Face.

I use my Binson setting on my El Cap with it all the time for Floyd stuff. Love that pedal as well.

What’s interesting is that I drop my guitar volume down to about 8 for Time and go up to about 9 or 10 for Echoes. I love my Silicon Fuzz Face.

I use my Binson setting on my El Cap with it all the time for Floyd stuff. Love that pedal as well.
The Echorec is great. Im building (soon) a Multiplex Tape Echo from 1776 Effects. I am especially looking forward to the Echorec setting.

I always enjoyed DSOTM, but that was a deep as I got with Pink Floyd. Then, one summer, years ago, my mom bought me the Live at Pompei DVD for like $5 at Best Buy. Echoes part one was a complete eye opener. I dove in real deep after that.

The Echorec is great. Im building (soon) a Multiplex Tape Echo from 1776 Effects. I am especially looking forward to the Echorec setting.

I always enjoyed DSOTM, but that was a deep as I got with Pink Floyd. Then, one summer, years ago, my mom bought me the Live at Pompei DVD for like $5 at Best Buy. Echoes part one was a complete eye opener. I dove in real deep after that.

Same here. Because of my Dad and AOR, I had been exposed to DSotM, WYWH, and The Wall.

Then about a year ago, I saw Echoes I from Pompeii, listened to Meddle, and discovered Animals. It was a game changer. Got me back into pedals and my first real pedalboard. Also, my reintroduction to Floyd got me serious about playing and learning again.

I’m patiently awaiting more FV-1 chips so I can do a Hydra.

Back