Seabed hiss

jrh312

So I was able to resolve the issue I had with the Seabed delay not producing an effect. The tap tempo mod was hooked up wrong, so it's now producing delay and everything seems to be in order aside from two things:

1) (the smaller issue) Loud pop when the effect is engaged, which, of course, repeats over and over again as the delay pans out. I believe I can fix this issue easily.

2) (the bigger, deal-breaker issue) Crazy amount of background hiss which gets louder as the input increases. In other words, when I pick or strum the hiss gets louder. The harder I pick or strum, the louder the hiss gets. This is very noticeable when playing and will be unacceptable for recording purposes. The hiss also mildly distorts the tone. A clean guitar sounds slightly overdriven.

Does this sort of hiss typically indicate something specific?

For reference.... Using the same cables, power supply (only.plugged into this pedal while I'm testing it so no others are affecting it), same guitar, amp, and electrical outlets, etc. It's not external power interference...something with the pedal.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Is ALL the flux cleaned off the back of the board?? And, even the front to some extent. I always make sure the back is super clean, and the front is decently clean. That’s what I would check first, if I had the problem you have right now.

There'd be no reason to do it before populating it. Do you mean it's already boxed up?

Apologies if I misunderstood. (y)
No I just worded it poorly. It is boxed but I didn't use PCB mounted pots so there's some give in the board and I can access it.

Is it just a matter using high concentration isopropyl? That'd be an easy enough thing to do if that's all there is to it. I've built several but never did that before. I'm beginning to dislike PCB builds by the way. I've built 3 and had weird issues with each. Stripboard seems so much easier to debug to me....

Pictures are worth a thousand words.
When Troubleshooting, we need to see the PCB.
Cleaning will definately help but you may have created hiss by introducing hookup wire to the pots in the build.???

Cheers music6000

Swapping the foot switch ground and switch wires caused pops on a recent Hydra build (see link above).

As regards the hiss, good idea to post pics when you get a chance 😉

Reactions: fig
Back