Six-Gun EQ

mkstewartesq

This will be kind of long because hopefully it can provide some useful tips for others.

This was a fun build (until the end, see below)– mainly because it was so different from most of the PedalPCB builds I have done. It was fun working with sliders rather than pots for a change, as well as assembling the two boards, almost like a model kit.

As some may recall from the “workbench” thread, I started with a raw aluminum enclosure and sanded it and polished it to with an inch of its life, to the point where I got a mirror finish. This was actually a bad call as far as applying a film-free decal. It was TOO smooth, because the glue actually beaded up on the surface and was a complete bitch to spread around evenly. Since the glue didn’t like the smooth surface, there were a few tiny spots where it did not adhere and lifted. So I was left with a somewhat fragile decal even after applying clearcoat. Bear with me, this is going somewhere.

The key to this build is to PLAN AHEAD. I did not do this and I paid the price in frustration. Because the boards are stacked, certain wires (powerlines, ground wires to the jacks) must be soldered onto the board before you combine Combine the boards and solder the pin headers. Even once you have done that, you must test fit EVERYTHING before committing it to the enclosure. This is a TIGHT fit – depending on the jacks you use, they are only going to fit into the enclosure with the board in a very, very specific way. Long story short, I put the board in and realized that there was no way I was going to be able to put the jacks or the power jack in afterward so I actually had to disassemble this multiple times (a scary process given how fragile the decal on the surface was) before I finally figured out the exact right sequence of steps to get everything into the box and to fit Because I used open frame jacks, I also had to snip off the pin headers because they not only obstructed the jacks but they would’ve fouled the guitar cables plugged into the jacks.

Like I said – plan ahead. Then find out your plans don’t work, scrap them, and make a new plan. Over and over again.

Thanks again to Nick @Bricksnbeatles for supplying the drill template – this is the first enclosure I had Tayda drill for me in at least seven or eight months, but the results were well worth both the $4.00 extra and saving my sanity.

SOUND - I built this stock – meaning I didn’t try to change any of the band frequencies, etc. As far as the sound – it does exactly what it’s supposed to. The effect of moving the sliders on each band is quite noticeable and I think it’s going to be a very useful tool to put at the end of my signal chain. My Fender Blues Junior amp can be a bit bright sometimes even with the trouble rolled mostly off – this will help me tame that even further and bring back some of the low end that I feel like I am missing.

Mike

IMG_0868.jpeg
IMG_0869.jpeg IMG_0871.jpeg

Awesome build! Glad my Taya drill file came in handy!

As for the build difficulties you faced— this is definitely one where lumberg jacks make things easier. Your notes about the fitting of everything are dead on too— for my first 6-band (which was hand drilled 🥶) I dry fitted everything a few times to make sure I had everything figured out just right for installing the hardware and boards in the right order. It’s a tight squeeze either way!

Definitely a fantastic project— hopefully your build inspires more people to give it a shot now! Not many build reports for this one besides both of ours.

I added one to my wish list. Your build report makes it sound like it might be up my alley. Also I don’t think you can have too many EQs.

I think your enclosure came out awesome. What did you use to polish it? I have an old lathe that I turned into a buffer/sharpening station that polishes pretty quickly but sometime want to rip the piece from your hands if it catches an edge.

I added one to my wish list. Your build report makes it sound like it might be up my alley. Also I don’t think you can have too many EQs.

I think your enclosure came out awesome. What did you use to polish it? I have an old lathe that I turned into a buffer/sharpening station that polishes pretty quickly but sometime want to rip the piece from your hands if it catches an edge.
All by hand with sandpaper – starting at 240 grit and moving up to 3000 grit, then going over with rubbing compound (really meant for automotive clearcoat but that’s all I had on hand).

Thank you for the kind words.

IMG_0847.jpeg

Looks fantastic! Thanks for the detailed report, it will come in handy if I ever build one.

That sanded enclosure looks like a lot of work went into it. That’s inspiring!

All by hand with sandpaper – starting at 240 grit and moving up to 3000 grit, then going over with rubbing compound (really meant for automotive clearcoat but that’s all I had on hand).
Dang. I did some guitar builds in my early 20s that I polished basically the same way you described, but I didn’t have the patience to get them as nice looking as your enclosure. I had assumed you were using some sort of power buffer.

I suspect it may have been the car polish that made the glue bead rather than the shiny metal. Or maybe a combination of both. Sometimes after using the polish you can get rid of the polish residue with detergent - dish washing detergent would work. That might help with decal application too.

It looks amazing!

Not really about the pedal. But clipping out the bright cap in a blues jr is a a great very easy mod. Literally just clip the legs off and call it good.

Awesome looking build! Was the drilling by hand or did Tayda take care of that?
Thanks. Definitely Tayda. I normally drill my own enclosures, but in this case it was well worth the $4.00 to have Tayda do it, especially since Bricksandbeatles had posted an awesome drill template over in the Toolkit forum.

M

Back