Six string stinger

Claytushaywood

I bought an octagon with pre soldered fv1 that I’ve had. A weird noise issue with forever that I could never figure out.

I also got a twin face That is just awesome.

And I have a six string stinger that I just can’t get to sound like the real deal. It’s in the ballpark but not nearly enough gain. I’ve built Jfet testers before. And I tried messing with a few diffferent ones.

Has anyone had success with changing the drain resistor values to a particular value or using trim pots?

I’d love to get it up and running!

The 6-string stringer / Jack Orman Mini Booster is biased in a way that doesn't require fine-tuning.

Are you aware that fake J201s are all over the internet? Relabeled MPF102s or similar ould perform exactly as you describe. This is one more reason to always socket transistors.

Hi Clay,

I bought some off of small bear too that I had used on a SSS build with the same exact thing: barely any gain. I went to SMD J201 and used Pedalpcb's adapter to solder them up and now the gain comes around 1 o clock with a strat.

If you already have other J201s, try swapping them in your PCB and see if you notice any difference. If you did not socket them, I would probably remove them and at least temporarily put in some sockets until you get our pedal working the way you want it to.

Back