Small Bear Germanium Setups Question

joelorigo

I was able too pick up a 3 knob tone bender setup from Small Bear a few weeks ago:

I have a Kilimanjaro that I have been working on and off on for a while and none of the small amount of transistors I have worked. They said these are good for a tone bender V1 based circuit so I am going to try them.

Anyway, they included a "Ge diode, tested in the circuit." What is this for?

I see. So in the Kilimanjaro circuit, it is not needed? Stick with the 1N5817 which is the only diode in the circuit?

That is correct. The 5817 is reverse polarity protection.

You can save the Ge diode and use it in a clipping stage.

Actually, one more question. How do I tell the pinout of these transistors? I pasted the wrong link above. Here is the correct one:

Here's a pic of one of them. No identifying marks that I see.

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: fig
Actually, one more question. How do I tell the pinout of these transistors? I pasted the wrong link above. Here is the correct one:

Here's a pic of one of them. No identifying marks that I see.
The leg under the tab (to the right in your pick) should be the emitter. Base would be in the middle and collector on the left. I feel like SB would have told you if it wasn’t the standard layout. Best bet is to socket.

The leg under the tab (to the right in your pick) should be the emitter. Base would be in the middle and collector on the left. I feel like SB would have told you if it wasn’t the standard layout. Best bet is to socket.
Thanks. I am using sockets.

Thinking of buying one of those cheap testers. From what I've seen, they're just as reliable as a Peak.
They work just fine but they're not reliable at all from my experience. I've had 3 die in 6 months. Thankfully they're all under warranty but doesn't exactly inspire confidence for when the warranty runs out. I'm just going to buy a peak tbh.

They work just fine but they're not reliable at all from my experience. I've had 3 die in 6 months. Thankfully they're all under warranty but doesn't exactly inspire confidence for when the warranty runs out. I'm just going to buy a peak tbh.
Were you able to determine what caused the failures? I've never looked at one beyond the pics posted here. Now I'm curious...do they have a MP?

Were you able to determine what caused the failures? I've never looked at one beyond the pics posted here. Now I'm curious...do they have a MP?
No Tim I haven't. In each case the unit has powered off in the middle of a test and not come back on again. I did read a thread talking about desoldering the battery and reconnecting to 'reset it'. That worked once on one of mine. The others came with a connector for the battery rather than a soldered connection. I just returned them rather than taking them apart any further.

I suppose they are assembled at various locations with varying practices and QC tolerances.

Mine just passed the 2 year mark and is still running strong, knock on wood. The only problem I've had with it is sometimes I have to wipe off the pads on the board that are for testing SMDs because humidity and dust will accumulate over time and cause leakage.

Back