Solved - Mystery meat gives high pitched squeal at 9V works fine at 18v

Locrian99

had a friend over and we were dinking around with some pedals I grabbed the mystery meat off my board and plugged it into a 9V supply we were using for several others including a cobbler that also uses a charge pump. This is just a single pedal wall wart no daisy chain or anything. Had the worst high pitched squeal (it woke my kid up from his nap lol). Plugged it back into my board power supply at 18v and it works fine. Plugged my cobbler back in to the other one and it works fine. I’m guessing the mystery meat doesn’t like running at 9V, but I thought I had before. Does this make sense ?

had a friend over and we were dinking around with some pedals I grabbed the mystery meat off my board and plugged it into a 9V supply we were using for several others including a cobbler that also uses a charge pump. This is just a single pedal wall wart no daisy chain or anything. Had the worst high pitched squeal (it woke my kid up from his nap lol). Plugged it back into my board power supply at 18v and it works fine. Plugged my cobbler back in to the other one and it works fine. I’m guessing the mystery meat doesn’t like running at 9V, but I thought I had before. Does this make sense ?
I figured it out I think my wall wart came partially out of the wall. It’s working fine at 9V now

I had a similar experience recently with a pedal that needed 12v supply. I used one of several I had around (rigged it up for reverse polarity, and got an unpleasant squeal. I don't know much about power supplies, transformers and electrical noise, but just switchign to a different power supply eliminated the problem.

I had a similar experience recently with a pedal that needed 12v supply. I used one of several I had around (rigged it up for reverse polarity, and got an unpleasant squeal. I don't know much about power supplies, transformers and electrical noise, but just switchign to a different power supply eliminated the problem.
I’m fairly certain what happened in this situation was my wall wart type adapter kind of rocked itself half out of the socket. Losing connection on the shorter prong. I was able to replicate the problem by partially pulling it out barely. Odd issue for sure I was very confused. Was bad timing as I was in the process of showing off my pedals to a Buddy lol.

Back