1973 Colorsound Tremolo

JamieJ

I took a chance on this through eBay. The seller had said that it had been sat in a box for 20 years and didn’t work. They go on reverb (for examples in better condition than this one) for £350-£580 so I took a punt and won it for £161 thinking there’s a good chance to get my money back or more.

IMG_2813.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

IMG_2814.jpeg

Obviously it’s in “slightly” used condition and has been modded at some point with side jacks and a 9v jack added. It looks like there was probably a battery disconnect switch added to the top and an LED above the foot switch. Some of the soldering is pretty crappy so I’m assuming that’s from a previous owner who modded it rather than from the factory.

On peeking inside there is an in stamp from 1973 but I can’t make out the month. From a bit of searching online these 3 transistor tremolos were made from 71-75. I’ve found it hard to find a schematic I trust.

IMG_2816.jpeg

IMG_2817.jpeg

IMG_2818.jpeg

IMG_2826.jpeg

Look at these 70’s WIMA caps

IMG_2828.jpeg

Tonight I have reflowed some of the suspect joints. As it’s already been converted to a 9v supply via a jack - I swapped that out and got rid of some of the clipped off wiring.

I’ve only managed a 10 minute play through it but it works perfectly. I’m enjoying it set fairly shallow as a subtle tremolo and it fits an unused space on my board perfectly.

IMG_2830.jpeg

IMG_2831.jpeg

When I bought it as broken/for parts - I planned to fix it up and sell it again but I might hold onto it for a bit to see if it’s worth keeping. It’s crazy to think it’s 50 years old.

Nice find! My money on the month is probably 08, could be 06 maybe too, but not really anything else IMO.

Damn that's cool Jamie. I love all the empty space in those old Enclosures and all those old parts look so cool.

Definitely hold onto it for a bit and start a board with massively oversized Enclosures. This and your klon make a great start, now you just need to build a big box memory man and big Muff and you're on your way.

Looks to me like the date stamp says 11 OCT 73, which is a common way to express dates so Americans don't get confused by them being in the correct day/month/year order.

Looks to me like the date stamp says 11 OCT 73, which is a common way to express dates so Americans don't get confused by them being in the correct day/month/year order.

This, though for different reasons. I don’t think Colorsound were that concerned with keeping Americans happy…though they did spell colour wrong in their name…

Back