DEMO Sproing Deluxe (PPCB + J. Rockett Boing) - Demo Added

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
After my spasm of overdrives I needed to step away from the pipe and do a modulation build.

This project is the brainchild of our resident reverse engineer @Robert adding an optical tremolo circuit to the original Sproing project (J. Rockett Boing).

The Sproing is a simple one knob Belton brick reverb designed to emulate the reverb circuit of a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

The reverb section of this pedal is......"ok".....but it doesn't knock my socks off. I have yet to find a solid state analog of a spring reverb tank that is convincing to me. I think it sounds a bit brittle and "tinny" but being a one knob reverb there's not a lot of controls to fine tune. This is not limited to the Sproing, the best reverb pedal I've ever owned was the Nuenaber Immerse Mark II but I never used the Spring algorithm for the same reason.

As far as Belton Brick reverbs go, I still like my Gravitation the best. Having said that, the reverb section of the Sproing Deluxe is usable at lower settings, it progressively gets more "tinny" the wetter it's set.

However, the star of this pedal is the excellent tremolo circuit. While it doesn't have all the controls as the most excellent Trembling Loon it's got a lot of sounds in it. The Speed and Intensity knobs have quite a range and you can everything from a subtle pulse to a hard choppy "in your face" kind of trem effect.

Like the Trembling Loon there's a ton of gain on tap if you want to push an amp with this pedal. The dedicated gain knob put unity for me around 10 o'clock.
The "Shape" control can give you a wide range of sounds from hard chop to fluffy waves.

As usual, it's a terrific layout and easy build.

I totally goofed when I ordered the 9mm pots, but this one is supposed to use the plastic shaft ones for the Gain and Shape controls. The regular 9mmm pots barely clear any thread through the enclosure plus the faceplate and even the smallest knobs I had cover up the label.
I wound up just barely catching some thread with the nuts with no washer.

For the LDR I used a KE-107020 with a 3mm red diffused. Works very well.

Cool pedal!

I'll try to throw up a demo a little later.

IMG_4380.JPG

IMG_4379.JPG

I've really wanted to try this guy. I don't know exactly how to describe it but some of these effects like this that are a bit simpler or "old school" often feel like some of the most "musical" to me. In particular this guy feels a bit like a poor man's Strymon Flint (and I don't mean that negatively) which is IMO one of the most "musical" pedals I've ever played.

Plus I'm a sucker for faceplates.

I would really like to try that Spaceman reverb build as well. As far as spring sounds go, the Source Audio true spring is hard to beat for me... But to be fair I am not a super picky has-to-have-that-perfect-"drip" spring reverb guy, lol.

I would really like to try that Spaceman reverb build as well. As far as spring sounds go, the Source Audio true spring is hard to beat for me... But to be fair I am not a super picky has-to-have-that-perfect-"drip" spring reverb guy, lol.
I am that guy. Spring or GTFO is my motto. I have tube spring in my amp, the hooke build from deadendfx replaced my outboard tube spring reverb unit, and then I have my all dry playing. I'll let everyone else have all the digital fun they want.

After my spasm of overdrives I needed to step away from the pipe and do a modulation build.

This project is the brainchild of our resident reverse engineer @Robert adding an optical tremolo circuit to the original Sproing project (J. Rockett Boing).

The Sproing is a simple one knob Belton brick reverb designed to emulate the reverb circuit of a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

The reverb section of this pedal is......"ok".....but it doesn't knock my socks off. I have yet to find a solid state analog of a spring reverb tank that is convincing to me. I think it sounds a bit brittle and "tinny" but being a one knob reverb there's not a lot of controls to fine tune. This is not limited to the Sproing, the best reverb pedal I've ever owned was the Nuenaber Immerse Mark II but I never used the Spring algorithm for the same reason.

As far as Belton Brick reverbs go, I still like my Gravitation the best. Having said that, the reverb section of the Sproing Deluxe is usable at lower settings, it progressively gets more "tinny" the wetter it's set.

However, the star of this pedal is the excellent tremolo circuit. While it doesn't have all the controls as the most excellent Trembling Loon it's got a lot of sounds in it. The Speed and Intensity knobs have quite a range and you can everything from a subtle pulse to a hard choppy "in your face" kind of trem effect.

Like the Trembling Loon there's a ton of gain on tap if you want to push an amp with this pedal. The dedicated gain knob put unity for me around 10 o'clock.
The "Shape" control can give you a wide range of sounds from hard chop to fluffy waves.

I totally goofed when I ordered the 9mm pots, but this one is supposed to use the plastic shaft ones for the Gain and Shape controls. The regular 9mmm pots barely clear any thread through the enclosure plus the faceplate and even the smallest knobs I had cover up the label.

Cool pedal!

View attachment 43950

View attachment 43951
That is super slick looking...
The color scheme even holds in the interior with those cream caps.

Last edited:

Cool pedal!

View attachment 43950

View attachment 43951
Love the color scheme! Looks gorgeous inside and out!! Nice work :)

Edit: ooh, beautiful demo as well! You’re the whole package Michael!

This sounds lovely. I don't need another trem or reverb, but might have to give this a shot.

Hi guys, I couldn't find the wiring diagram for this pedal, it hasn't been uploaded to the site yet, how can I find it? I'd like to understand how it works

Back