Station wah

I’ve thoroughly searched and haven’t found one thread about the inductor orientation in the Station wah. What I did find said that this board, and other boards, can have about any inductor on the market. My board is different than the one pictured in the build docs. I think I have the orientation correct, but it doesn’t hurt to double check. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 73372BCB-8C1C-43AB-BAF6-54CBEF17F0CD.jpeg
    73372BCB-8C1C-43AB-BAF6-54CBEF17F0CD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
Bump on this topic of the Station Wah.
My question is how the h*** am I supposed to get the solder to flow on these teeny tiny pads ? I've built a couple of pedals already, but I've never had to deal with such tiny pads, and my solder just won't flow on them. It stays on the legs of the components only, it's like they're solderphobic. The build seems really uncomplicated otherwise.
Help ?
I'm using 1mm thick solder. I've seen thinner diameters at the shop, but I didn't think it would be necessary, is it worth a try ?

My post is sadly unrelated to yours, Texasbluezman, sorry. I cannibalized an inductor from a Cry Baby, so I don't have the same as you.
I’ve thoroughly searched and haven’t found one thread about the inductor orientation in the Station wah. What I did find said that this board, and other boards, can have about any inductor on the market. My board is different than the one pictured in the build docs. I think I have the orientation correct, but it doesn’t hurt to double check. Thanks in advance.

I measure the transistor pairs of pins to find the correct set of a transformer. I have just about every commonly used inductor and a few transformer types so I'll put up a few pics showing orientation and board connection to this pad array. (y)

As for pad size, I've not noticed but will look closer. I imagine the size is due to their close proximity. Have you tried a bit of flux to coax the solder?

Bump on this topic of the Station Wah.
My question is how the h*** am I supposed to get the solder to flow on these teeny tiny pads ? I've built a couple of pedals already, but I've never had to deal with such tiny pads, and my solder just won't flow on them. It stays on the legs of the components only, it's like they're solderphobic. The build seems really uncomplicated otherwise.
Help ?
I'm using 1mm thick solder. I've seen thinner diameters at the shop, but I didn't think it would be necessary, is it worth a try ?

My post is sadly unrelated to yours, Texasbluezman, sorry. I cannibalized an inductor from a Cry Baby, so I don't have the same as you.

What iron are you using? How is the tip integrity?

After looking at the pads on several boards, I'm wondering if the "tiny pad" comment was tongue-in-cheek?

Here's some that I measured. The two at TOP RIGHT are both Halo inductors.

1u6n7Fq.jpg

What iron are you using? How is the tip integrity?
It's my third build with this tip, looks very good. It works just fine, because I started using 0,5mm diameter for solder, and for some reason I've managed to solder the whole thing last night.
I'm wiring everything up at the moment, we'll see shortly how good of a job I've done. ^^'

BTW, I'm about to look up how to wire the jacks, I don't see dedicated pads for In or Out on the board. Are these meant to be the two unmarked (and seemingly unused) slots on the 3pdt board ?

It wasn't at the time, I got pretty frustrated but I'll evidently admit that I was doing something wrong. Maybe I need to have my eyesight checked too.
TBH, I didn't look at the Station Wah pads specifically until just now. I see your point. ;)

Here's an illustration of jackage wiring without 3PDT board. With it, the outer pads serve the jack tips, and the outer pads at the top of the pcb are jack sleeve.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 11.20.41 AM.png

Here's an illustration of jackage wiring without 3PDT board. With it, the outer pads serve the jack tips, and the outer pads at the top of the pcb are jack sleeve.
That's just what I needed.

So the effect works as expected. (y)
BUT I have a loud squeal in bypass. Which gets higher as I turn the pot clockwise, until it suddenly goes silent when it can't turn anymore.
I'm thinking my switch has suffered from all the soldering...

Edit mid-post : The switch board was full of goop and after I cleaned it, no more squeal. ✔️

I need to get compatible screws for the enclosure because those sent by Musikding don't fit. Apart from that, I consider it done. :) Thanks to those who took the time to answer this thread so far. Hopefully Texasbluezman got the answer they needed too.

image0.jpeg image0 (1).jpeg

That's just what I needed.

So the effect works as expected. (y)
BUT I have a loud squeal in bypass. Which gets higher as I turn the pot clockwise, until it suddenly goes silent when it can't turn anymore.
I'm thinking my switch has suffered from all the soldering...

Edit mid-post : The switch board was full of goop and after I cleaned it, no more squeal. ✔️

I need to get compatible screws for the enclosure because those sent by Musikding don't fit. Apart from that, I consider it done. :) Thanks to those who took the time to answer this thread so far. Hopefully Texasbluezman got the answer they needed too.

View attachment 25496 View attachment 25497
Looks great! :love:

I don’t mind my thread being hijacked. At least someone is reading it. This board was put to the side waiting for a response. Plus, I moved, so everything came to a halt. Maybe I can dig it back out! Lol

Good to hear you got it going and it sounded good, Texasbluezman.

That's the inductor I chose for my Station-build, too. It's built, but not boxed yet, as it's been too cold out to drill in the garage.

Back