Stuff

You got it. I use a small database to store each (significant) component. I don't catalog passives because I'm not that far gone...no offense to anyone that far gone. ✌️ For FETs, I store the part number, Idss, Vgs-off, source, date added, reference (which is the grid XY). A function groups them pretty well, but I always check manually. It will graph any of the stored values, export to XL or delim. I've got 100-5457 smd to wrangle into that polycarb-maiden, and then into the grid [dramatic music].

One note, although this is a Peak product, presumably for the DCA-55/75..the pads will not work with the mini-grabbers without modification (go figure). I used some standoffs to make "turrets". The threaded 'male' bit at the top is a good place for the grabbers.
Wow this thread has got serious!

• Wow
Reactions: fig
Here's a shot of another turret, but in NZ the turrets shoot you!
JDC-0001-Achilles-Turret-3-scaled.jpg

This was a part of my no-show entry to @Chuck D. Bones ' Muffin Board design contest. It would never have stacked up to the competing entries (very cool stuff folks!) but I have had a good time putzing with it. I'll try to get the whole enchilada together soon. Then it will make more or less sense.

g8IUsu2.jpg

It's a Ruby with a twist. The input is a bluetooth module. I've been auditioning several of these embedded thing-a-ma-jigs . It also led me down a research hole regarding EM filtering and noise filtering in general. The realization of the magnitude of it was a bit intimidating, but as oft I do, off I went. I learned very little that would actually be useful in this application but I found something to study should I have another lifetime at some point. :whistle: Theology aside, it was a definite departure from what is typically deployed in a guitar pedal circuit.:oops:

The Muffin board's power stage and tone control would have been used for the contest. The remainder of the project is still being completed. My actual bench time has been erratic so progress on ALL projects have taken a hit. No complaints. If life were predictable we'd be both boring and bored all the time. Challenge accepted.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: You may notice a missing jumper from the BT output to the amp input...I pulled it for testing.....you can't run the circuit more than 3 minutes or it will melt the breadboard. Heat sinks help but only add another minute before your wife asks which air freshener you just used so she knows never to buy it again!

This was a part of my no-show entry to @Chuck D. Bones ' Muffin Board design contest. It would never have stacked up to the competing entries (very cool stuff folks!) but I have had a good time putzing with it. I'll try to get the whole enchilada together soon. Then it will make more or less sense.

g8IUsu2.jpg

It's a Ruby with a twist. The input is a bluetooth module. I've been auditioning several of these embedded thing-a-ma-jigs . It also led me down a research hole regarding EM filtering and noise filtering in general. The realization of the magnitude of it was a bit intimidating, but as oft I do, off I went. I learned very little that would actually be useful in this application but I found something to study should I have another lifetime at some point. :whistle: Theology aside, it was a definite departure from what is typically deployed in a guitar pedal circuit.:oops:

The Muffin board's power stage and tone control would have been used for the contest. The remainder of the project is still being completed. My actual bench time has been erratic so progress on ALL projects have taken a hit. No complaints. If life were predictable we'd be both boring and bored all the time. Challenge accepted.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: You may notice a missing jumper from the BT output to the amp input...I pulled it for testing.....you can't run the circuit more than 3 minutes or it will melt the breadboard. Heat sinks help but only add another minute before your wife asks which air freshener you just used so she knows never to buy it again!

I never got mine entry to the breadboard, so I didn't submit anything. My project was to replace the middle two BMP stages with a FF...

For that last project, I tried a few different bluetooth modules. From top to bottom;

1. The receiver module currently in the above project.

2. A dongle concept...interesting if it pans out.

3. A receiver + amplifier module. This will probably be what I use in the final iteration of the project above. It would disqualify the entry but solves a few issues.

4. A transceiver module. Useful for two-way communication, and a likely candidate for wireless programming of FV-1 / Daisy-seed / etc.

IpSQYrn.jpg

I'm calling this one;

Too hot! [hot damn]. Call the po-lice and the fire-man! Why? Bruno got into my head....my dog loves to chase a laser to that song...oh yes, pedal stuff....

My new Easy-Bake Oven!

VFZGyiH.jpg

It's stupid simple. Flux / Paint / Schtick / Bake.

Flux - I color the pads lightly using a Kester flux pen. This particular flux cleans pretty easily.

Paint - Stencils are the trick, but for my purposes a small flat coffee stirrer is the perfect paintbrush. You don't have to be Pablo Picasso as the paste-mass is drawn to the copper pads (not unconnected blobs). Too much and you'll get solder blobs underneath the pins ( thanks for that heads-up @PedalPCB )

Schtick - Carefully place the component aligning pin to pad. I take extra time as good alignment really ties the pcb together man.

Bake - There are several presets and user defined programs based on the paste recipe and melting temp. I'm running mine outside under a covered porch (conveniently outside my lab) because I don't have the exhaust fan set up.

Here's the first test; a FV-1 on a PedalPCB Arachnid....pretty clean!

wujenZA.jpg

I plan to bake a whole pcb at once. I'll document it....stay tuned.

Some groovy adapter boards also arrived for my bag 'o KA2206.

DYZWzge.jpg

This time, I am using some Kester paste in a syringe. It's much easier to work with per pad. Just keep a steady amount of pressure on the plunger, while keeping the syringe perpendicular to the pcb ( much like dobbing icing on a cake).

FQdPicx.jpg

Here's the pcb doped up with the chip in place.

V6Sp6LO.jpg

Then we set our Easy-Bake oven to the mode closest to the paste being used. There are, as with many ovens, "cold spots" so keep that in mind if paste doesn't flow. Just re-position the board and run the cycle again. The display shows the progress of the 7-minute cook time.

tjdRiFN.jpg

Once the alarm sounds [which does NOT go away automatically], the board has been cooled sufficiently for grubby digits.

wrC1Rjz.jpg

For the self proclaimed village idiot you sure seem very organized, have a lot of nice shiny components, clean assemblies, interesting projects, generous giveaways, and a mad scientist vibe.
If that’s what it takes to be the idiot, I’d say the bar has been set pretty high around here.

You guys are way too kind! Most everything I've learned about electronics was directly from or inspired right here, by a really fine group of people. :love:

Speaking of contests, it would seem we need one to guess when I'll get ON my butt and measure those FETs for the contest. I think I'll have time tomorrow. (y)

I built out a bridge amp with the above chip...what's really kinda cool is, it's all caps. I haven't gotten to test it yet. I'll swing back around...😵💫

Snuffy Fuzz arrived today. Unfortunately, I had no B2Ks on-hand *gasp*...but I knew a dude who did.
I'm more intrigued by the way you're using SMT caps on a board designed for through-hole caps. Are you using some kind of adapter? Or just splodging them on there and running everything through your shiny new PCB oven?

You guys are way too kind! Most everything I've learned about electronics was directly from or inspired right here, by a really fine group of people. :love:

Speaking of contests, it would seem we need one to guess when I'll get ON my butt and measure those FETs for the contest. I think I'll have time tomorrow. (y)

I built out a bridge amp with the above chip...what's really kinda cool is, it's all caps. I haven't gotten to test it yet. I'll swing back around...😵💫
Well, the Drone hasn't been keeping us up to date on the state of your Lawn so if that chore is done,
GET your BUTT into gear & test them FET's !!! :p

Back