Sushibox Nobelium

Mentaltossflycoon

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
SATISFACTION. I have a new favorite pre amp. A long time ago, I put the Noble Pre in the ppcb wishlist as a joke but... not a joke. It seemed like too big of an ask but I definitely wished to build one. Then @vigilante398 comes along and drops this Nobelium project before I could think to suggest it. Thank you, Nathan!

This thing is everything I wanted out of the Noble without the things I didn't need in a better sized enclosure. I haven't gigged it yet, I'm hoping to do a casual recording session in the coming weeks so I'll really get a better idea of the DI at that point. I've mostly played it through my headphone amp (sounds excellent, obviously) and my ampeg ba500 with a broken preamp a 500w 2x10 combo. It functions but has become unusably noisy. Before today I had been using the Aion TS-50 and sunn beta pre into the fx return and I've greatly enjoyed those, especially for the unique dirt they provide but the clean sounds of the nobelium are truly something special. Big, fat, warm, clear, articulate, buzzwordbuzzwordbuzzword, etc... I would use the nobelium whether the ampeg had a working or pre or not. It seems louder than I expected, I have the volume in the picture set around 9:00 this achieves a similar volume to the ba500 pre set with volume and gain at noon.

The build was somewhat smooth, at least smooth up to the final stretch. Didn't pass sound at first so I dismantled and checked voltages. Seemed all good throughout so I gave a little more care to cleaning the flux and then I was in business. Must've had an invisible short someplace. Didn't even have to rewet any joints. I bought the mojo bits from JJ and LBA. Purple solid core because... royalty?
Screenshot_20240125_133502_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240125_020517_Gallery.jpg
The aesthetics were a bit of a journey. @Guardians of the analog was kind enough to send me files for his amazing Baron Zemo Nobility enclosure design. I started that process of editing and making it "mine" but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I don't want something that looks like it was built by Chris but is 100% lies on the inside. Respect, bro.

The idea of nobility always makes me think of the strange inbreeding habits of high born families. Ick. First came images of blood cells wearing crowns. Then it turned into a photoshop joke fest with my friends. They had some suggestions for a face to replace Chris' zemo....
wonder_1706118589692.jpg 1706146307461.jpg 1706147030616.jpg
IMG_20240125_142837.jpg

I eventually landed on a black and white "woodcut" styled "king of the vacuum tubes fights off the transistor rebellion." wonder_1706167643625.jpg

In some ways this is my "pedal everest," anything more complicated or costly to build that's out there would not likely be as useful to me. Happy happy happy.

Some right stupendous work you've done here!

tumblr_opwzgqpxSW1r8dxfio1_500.gifv

That graphic you chose is a banger- I'm glad you shared the royal blood idea as well :ROFLMAO:

SATISFACTION. I have a new favorite pre amp. A long time ago, I put the Noble Pre in the ppcb wishlist as a joke but... not a joke. It seemed like too big of an ask but I definitely wished to build one. Then @vigilante398 comes along and drops this Nobelium project before I could think to suggest it. Thank you, Nathan!

This thing is everything I wanted out of the Noble without the things I didn't need in a better sized enclosure. I haven't gigged it yet, I'm hoping to do a casual recording session in the coming weeks so I'll really get a better idea of the DI at that point. I've mostly played it through my headphone amp (sounds excellent, obviously) and my ampeg ba500 with a broken preamp a 500w 2x10 combo. It functions but has become unusably noisy. Before today I had been using the Aion TS-50 and sunn beta pre into the fx return and I've greatly enjoyed those, especially for the unique dirt they provide but the clean sounds of the nobelium are truly something special. Big, fat, warm, clear, articulate, buzzwordbuzzwordbuzzword, etc... I would use the nobelium whether the ampeg had a working or pre or not. It seems louder than I expected, I have the volume in the picture set around 9:00 this achieves a similar volume to the ba500 pre set with volume and gain at noon.

The build was somewhat smooth, at least smooth up to the final stretch. Didn't pass sound at first so I dismantled and checked voltages. Seemed all good throughout so I gave a little more care to cleaning the flux and then I was in business. Must've had an invisible short someplace. Didn't even have to rewet any joints. I bought the mojo bits from JJ and LBA. Purple solid core because... royalty?
View attachment 66831View attachment 66832
The aesthetics were a bit of a journey. @Guardians of the analog was kind enough to send me files for his amazing Baron Zemo Nobility enclosure design. I started that process of editing and making it "mine" but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I don't want something that looks like it was built by Chris but is 100% lies on the inside. Respect, bro.

The idea of nobility always makes me think of the strange inbreeding habits of high born families. Ick. First came images of blood cells wearing crowns. Then it turned into a photoshop joke fest with my friends. They had some suggestions for a face to replace Chris' zemo....
View attachment 66833View attachment 66834View attachment 66835
View attachment 66838

I eventually landed on a black and white "woodcut" styled "king of the vacuum tubes fights off the transistor rebellion." View attachment 66837

In some ways this is my "pedal everest," anything more complicated or costly to build that's out there would not likely be as useful to me. Happy happy happy.
This is awesome dude. I love the fact that you showed us your graphic design process. I'm really looking forward to building this pedal.

KNIGHT KNOCKING IT OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT !

maxresdefault.jpg

Totally knocked it out of the park!

vader_homerun.gif

The Bloodwork was great, would look good with red LEDs behind the tubes, but the WoodCut is classier than the aristocracies' platelets.

wonder_1706167643625-jpg.66837

L ☝️👇
R👆👇

Kylo Ren over shoulder thumbnail.jpeg ___________ Mandalorians right thumbnail.jpeg

A small update, I took my Nobelium equipped pedalboard to jam with some folks I don't know all that well. They had a small studio set up so I got to employ the DI. It went flawlessly. I had only previously plugged it in to an old Mackie PA to make sure that it worked. I needed to open it up and back the trimmer down a bit as the signal was pretty hot but after that it was smooth sailing. None of the weird power issues or noise that I was having at my regular drummer's house that I've mentioned elsewhere. Thankfully that problem seems to be location specific.

Unfortunately (perhaps fortunately since it was 4hrs of improv) I don't have any of what they recorded but as they were listening back and I packed out I got high praise for the bass toans. "Holy shit..." "ooh damn bro. " The nobelium may have just inflated my ego a bit.

A small update, I took my Nobelium equipped pedalboard to jam with some folks I don't know all that well. They had a small studio set up so I got to employ the DI. It went flawlessly. I had only previously plugged it in to an old Mackie PA to make sure that it worked. I needed to open it up and back the trimmer down a bit as the signal was pretty hot but after that it was smooth sailing. None of the weird power issues or noise that I was having at my regular drummer's house that I've mentioned elsewhere. Thankfully that problem seems to be location specific.

Unfortunately (perhaps fortunately since it was 4hrs of improv) I don't have any of what they recorded but as they were listening back and I packed out I got high praise for the bass toans. "Holy shit..." "ooh damn bro. " The nobelium may have just inflated my ego a bit.
So why you are saying is I need one?

Been going down the rabbit hole with the pcbs on their website, just wow! Not sure how I feel about the high gain stuff but the King Nothing PCB caught my eye as well. Your design with the woodblock print looks fantastic btw

Been going down the rabbit hole with the pcbs on their website, just wow! Not sure how I feel about the high gain stuff but the King Nothing PCB caught my eye as well. Your design with the woodblock print looks fantastic btw
I can enthusiastically vouch for this, the lab rat and the black eye. I have an echo foxtrot and space heater that are both awesome too but unfortunately discontinued so recommendation is moot. When the upcoming envelope filter project gets released, I'll likely pick one up along with a bassdude.

Back