Swirly fun with a hand painted Circulator

p_wats

Finally! After what seems like eons of troubleshooting FV-1 circuits (still out of luck on those) I've been able to have some fun building something.

I tried to keep it pretty straightforward with the Circulator---no relay bypass, no expression jacks, etc. That said, I did end up doing a few of @Chuck D. Bones ' suggested mods from this thread (thanks for that!). In the end I did #s 8, 9 & 12 (I did notice some locking up of the LFO depending on where the knobs were set and 8 & 9 fixed that easily).

I may regret not adding the relay bypass, as that is so smooth, bu I wanted to keep it simple and find it hard to place the LEDs well with the bypass board in the way anyway, but I can always add it later if I want.

Drawing with paint pens always turns out a little rougher than I hope for, but I'm still happy enough with how this turned out (lots of taping and spraying/splattering too). I initially drilled the toggle holes a bit too big, but managed to fill them in a bit with JB Weld.

In any case, I'm really liking this phaser, especially at slow settings. There's a brief video as part of this Instagram post.

circulator_2021-01-10_01.jpg

circulator_2021-01-10_02.jpg

Fantastic artwork. I really like that.
Love the artwork!
Thanks guys!

I was annoyed, as the paint/clear coat around the toggle nuts pulled a bit while I was tightening things up. I could cover it with a washers, but it looks cleaner without.

Played with this a bit last night and compared to some other phaser/vibes I've built (Phase 45 has been my go-to for years) and this is definitely my favourite phaser. I did expect to like the vibrato mode more, but my modded Phase 45 still wins there (very subtle, which I like).

Back