Textured PCB?

I figured it was pretty simple.

Is there any disadvantage to filling like this? It certainly looks cool but as far as the quality of the ground pour?

I've heard impedance and/or signal noise happens— depending on the intended application— with a non-solid pour, but I'd love to be educated on this as well.

I've heard impedance and/or signal noise happens— depending on the intended application— with a non-solid pour, but I'd love to be educated on this as well.

That’s my uneducated concern: Looks cool as shit bit if I’m negating the effect of a solid pour then it would be not worth it.

It's generally used for boards that are bent/flexed iirc.
I doubt there's much concern of noise in the frequencies we live in though. There are some quidelines/concerns for routing over it re inductance...

I've seen a similar type of textured pour on MXR pedals I've taken apart. I have a Dyna Comp on the workbench with that type of ground pour and was kinda wondering the same thing.

My understanding is it was developed to mitigate the effect of temperature expansion of different materials (copper and baseboard). It is a thing of the past I guess. You will probably not be designing a guitar effect pedal that would benefit from it.

I have used this approach also for visual effects. If you put route keepout (shape of your preference) on your board you will get this mask dip effect. I made markers around the knob with it using a PCB front panel. It was not very pronounced but a nice textural thing nevertheless.

I used a crosshatch ground pour for a few months but the texture made the silkscreen hard to read in some cases, so I stopped.

Does your design need to consider trace impedance, EMF radiation, differential signaling, and return paths? Otherwise don’t worry about it. Just don’t have isolated copper pours hanging out alone.

Back