THAT4305/FXCore/FV-1

It was hammertone, which I found didn't hammer as well with thin coats
Is that the Rustoleum? I did a Rustoleum hammered spray a couple times in my toaster oven with the same settings, trying to remember if I used primer first. I guess still go as thin as possible while still getting the look?

Absolutely. The M8000s are rare...I have a couple of CS5368s I hope will play along nicely. CabinTech has some M9000s.
Ah, good to know, thanks!

Primer and paint I’ve had good results with 250° for 25 min. Still haven’t found good results of any kind with clear coats— baked or not.
I used to use Rustoleum gloss clear baked at 300° and it looked okay after a couple coats, but I was never thrilled with it. Now I'm fancy and do powdercoating so all my clears look amazing :p

I used to use Rustoleum gloss clear baked at 300° and it looked okay after a couple coats, but I was never thrilled with it. Now I'm fancy and do powdercoating so all my clears look amazing :p
I found the rustoleum to be pretty good as far as not-staying tacky goes, and it’s moderately scratch resistant. I also found it to develop impressions in it over time around hardware and when sitting on surfaces, and even with proper prep, it had adhesion issues and flaked quite a lot wherever it was exposed to moderate pressure.
The duplicolor clear went on nice and looks good, but it doesn’t dry well— both baked and unbaked, I found that it stayed tacky and prone to getting caked with dust and pet hair even 2 full years later.
The Kyrlon stuff was just terrible— yellowed way too much, and only about as durable as Polycrylic.

I’ve heavily considered powder coating more recently, but oh boy it’s a bit of a steep upfront investment!

I found the rustoleum to be pretty good as far as not-staying tacky goes, and it’s moderately scratch resistant. I also found it to develop impressions in it over time around hardware and when sitting on surfaces, and even with proper prep, it had adhesion issues and flaked quite a lot wherever it was exposed to moderate pressure.
The duplicolor clear went on nice and looks good, but it doesn’t dry well— both baked and unbaked, I found that it stayed tacky and prone to getting caked with dust and pet hair even 2 full years later.
The Kyrlon stuff was just terrible— yellowed way too much, and only about as durable as Polycrylic.

I’ve heavily considered powder coating more recently, but oh boy it’s a bit of a steep upfront investment!
I always went with Rustoleum, I particularly liked their metallic finishes. They did always seem to flake though. I had pretty good luck with solid color Rustoleum. Never tried Duplicolor, but my experience with Krylon was the same, completely awful.

I started with a $70 powdercoating setup from Harbor Freight Tools, it got the job done. Got a large cardboard box, cut one side off, ran a piece of baling wire through it for the ground to clip on to, and boom had my low-cost powder coating setup. Powders range from $10 (HFT) to $20 or so (Prismatic) for a pound, which coats a good number of pedals. I also kept using my paint-curing toaster oven for powder coat curing and it did just fine. I guess you do need an air compressor, so if you don't already have one that's a cost. Also if you don't have space to do it outside you'll need some way to control/contain the mess, so that's a thing as well.

I guess all things considered you're probably looking at $200-ish to get started in powdercoating, so a bit of an investment for a hobby, but it was well worth it to me. Plus my wife has been impressed with the results so she commissions me to powdercoat various things around the house to match the color scheme she has, and if my wife encourages me to use one tool, that's implied consent to buy another ;)

The large corkscrew is an enclosure screw for scale.

vNz7cgD.jpg

Back